maple leaf
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- SW Ontario
Hi everyone,
I want to safely shoot shot from a 28 gauge muzzleloader as a small game gun (primarily grouse). However, I've only shot round ball before, so muzzleloader shotguns are totally new to me. I need some advice from the seasoned veterans on here regarding what my load should look like. I suspect my load would be - 70 grains of 3F Goex black powder, followed by an over powder wad, followed by an equal volume of 7 1/2 sized lead shot (approximately 3/4 ounce to match the load of powder), followed by an over powder card.Does this sound right/ safe? Also, where in Canada can I buy the supplies needed for this? I'm not sure what wads and cards (felt, cardboard etc) I will need (nor brand), ideas? Also, do I need to make a paper cartridge for better accuracy (if so any suggestions on what to make this out of - I was thinking wax paper)?
Any and all help would be appreciated. If any of you have the appropriate wads and cards for sale, please also let me know.
Thanks!
I want to safely shoot shot from a 28 gauge muzzleloader as a small game gun (primarily grouse). However, I've only shot round ball before, so muzzleloader shotguns are totally new to me. I need some advice from the seasoned veterans on here regarding what my load should look like. I suspect my load would be - 70 grains of 3F Goex black powder, followed by an over powder wad, followed by an equal volume of 7 1/2 sized lead shot (approximately 3/4 ounce to match the load of powder), followed by an over powder card.Does this sound right/ safe? Also, where in Canada can I buy the supplies needed for this? I'm not sure what wads and cards (felt, cardboard etc) I will need (nor brand), ideas? Also, do I need to make a paper cartridge for better accuracy (if so any suggestions on what to make this out of - I was thinking wax paper)?
Any and all help would be appreciated. If any of you have the appropriate wads and cards for sale, please also let me know.
Thanks!


















































