Need help evaluating a fine old H & H rifle. MORE PICS.

Sasquatch807

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Hi guys,

How do I go about evaluating something that's way out of my league?
I've been asked to help a friend establish a fair value for an obviously expensive double rifle. It's a cased double Holland & Holland in .450 Express 3 1/4". Although the case shows it's age, the rifle is in beautiful condition. Bores are excellent and action is very tight and this fine rifle has obviously been taken care of.

If anyone can lend a helping hand on this one, it would be much appreciated.


HollandHolland002.jpg


HollandHolland014.jpg


HollandHolland015.jpg
 
Last edited:
You could do a google search for James Julia Auctions in Maine. They are first class people to deal with and if you send them some real good photos they will give you a pretty accurate estimate of selling price and on guns that sell over 10,000$ there is 0% sellers fee. Thats a real deal. Wilth sellers from all over the world; they are now looking for guns for their Oct 2012 fall sale.
 
Here is one very much like it as a reference.

http://www.montywhitley.com/category_details_print.php?i=49&id=1754

I'd say this gun would be circa $15,000-$20,000 on the Canadian market perhaps more.

You might want to email H&H to find out more about the gun's history.
 
Beautiful rifle. You could look on the Ellwood Epps site (Forum Sponsor) and see how similar rifles are priced. They have a similar Alexander Henry rifle for $12,250. A Holland and Holland would probably be worth more.
 
Yup, H&H are still in business - in fact, it's hardly ever been better - they will tell you all about the gun, but will not provide an evaluation. That is a local thing, down to the expert appraiser and ultimately the man with the gavel on the day of the auction.

tac
 
Beautiful rifle. Contact Holland and Holland, they may be able to help you out with date of manufacture and the like. As has been said already, check out some auctions. I wouldn't want to fire it with that tang peep raised.
 
Five figures, definitely, unless it's a real dog somehow that doesn't show in the photos.

A gun such as this should be traceable easily, should H&H still have the records and be willing to share them.

Something this valuable makes me think of the advice I was given, many years ago: "Get your advice from someone who knows what they are talking about AND who stands to make nothing from the deal."

A great deal depends on turnover and having a market for something this nice.... or at least having the connections to move an article of this rarity at a fair price. This should be a commission sale, in my opinion..... if the owner really wants to dispose of it.

.
 
John at wolverine Has a H&H in 303Brit listed for$ 35,000 so do your reserch
on a gun of this kind of value
 
The sad thing when these are sold is that too many end in foreign hand. Most end up crossing the border.
 
Because it is a an express and not a nitro and it seems to be a fairly plain model I would put it less than the others. Probably $8-9000. More accessories in the case would also help with the value.

Brett
 
Because it is a an express and not a nitro and it seems to be a fairly plain model I would put it less than the others. Probably $8-9000. More accessories in the case would also help with the value.

I am not sue that I would go that high. I am thinking more in the 3 - 5000 range and perhaps less. I don't think that hammer guns go for nearly as high as hammerless guns in modern calibers.
I traded for a 577 hammer double about 4 or 5 years ago and it was in the $2000 - $2500 range. I think the H&H is a little better but still an express case which means a light bullet and lots of powder. The idea was to get a flatter trajectory but it did so at the expense of bullet weight. I suppose to the extent that most doubles were probably shot at less than 150 yards, the trajectory may have improved a bit but it still would not be my choice

cheers mooncoon
 
I collect hammer doubles, have similar rifles, and appraise them for others. That said, based on what I can see, it should move at $3550, allowing $300 for the case. With better photos, and some of the water table and proofs, you can pm me. H&H doesn't always mean $10,000!!
 
The sad thing when these are sold is that too many end in foreign hand. Most end up crossing the border.
When advertisments from U.S. dealers are showing similar rifles north of $20,000 and Canadian dealer/collectors are saying this one should go from $3,000-$5,000 it's no surprise people get them across the border. :rolleyes:
 
that's what I meant. Just think of Joe Salter and all the stuff he gets here for very little $$$ and the prices he asks on the other side, and how fast his inventory usually moves...
 
When advertisments from U.S. dealers are showing similar rifles north of $20,000 and Canadian dealer/collectors are saying this one should go from $3,000-$5,000 it's no surprise people get them across the border. :rolleyes:

While guns may go for more in the US, I think it is a pipe dream that a gun will necessarily go for 4 to 5 times as much, south of the line. In a lot of cases people are comparing apples and oranges such as earlier what I think was a hammerless double 303 with an antique hammer express rifle.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom