need help finding 8x57js full power loads

Longwalker

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
217   0   2
Location
Saskatchewan
I recently purchased a nice old Brno 21H chambered in 8x57JS mauser. I need to buy some good quality European hunting ammunition for it. I am not interested in the very underloaded North American stuff from Remington, Federal and Winchester. They load light 170 grain bullets to only about 2300 fps. I am looking for ammunition from Norma, RWS, Lapua or similar manufacturers with good controlled expansion 198 grain bullets at 2500 fps or so. Any suggestions on where I can find a dealer with some in stock? I tried the usual suspects in Saskatoon and Regina, no luck. Any leads appreciated.
 
If you can get your hands on some of the IGMAN ammo made in Bosnia/Herzegovina [Red/grey box] It is a 198 grain semi-spitzer load that chronys around 2560 in my 8x57, so not a bad load at all. It is also impressively accurate in my rifle. There is quite a bit of this ammo out there in stores. I bought mine at Del Selin's in Vernon, BC. Norma also makes some decent rounds for the 8x57JS, but it is harder to find, & definitely more pricey. Eagleye.
 
Kamlooky, I do reload, but with any new rifle I like to establish a baseline standard for that rifle with factory loads, and then it gives me something to compare to when I handload for it.
For instance, I will work up a handload that matches the velocity and case head expansion at the web of a factory load (using new brass for the handload) I feel I then have a good way to establish a maximum performing handload.
 
Back
Top Bottom