Need help getting flint for a muzzleloader.

ultra_bright

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
GTA, Ontario
I own a .50 caliber traditions flintlock muzzleloader, it's great fun but the only downside is I'm having problems finding flint to fire the dam thing, for now I'm stuck using a blowtorch.

I'm not an experienced survivalist or rock collector and all the websites I've found so far seem to only ship within the states, does anyone have a good method for procuring flints?
 
I own a .50 caliber traditions flintlock muzzleloader, it's great fun but the only downside is I'm having problems finding flint to fire the dam thing, for now I'm stuck using a blowtorch.

I'm not an experienced survivalist or rock collector and all the websites I've found so far seem to only ship within the states, does anyone have a good method for procuring flints?


Talk to loyalist arms in N.S. Or Rusty Wood Trading company in BC: http://www.rustywood.ca/bp-access.html
 
I bought all my flint from Track Of The Wolf. As other have stated, they ship to Canada. Why did I choose them, because I could get real English Flint (not agate as some suppliers sell). Also, and this is the biggest reason - IT WAS CHEAPER! I love supporting Canadian shops, but almost of them are ordering through a major distributor like TOTW, having it delivered to their door and marking up the price. In some cases I've seen English flint being sold in Canada for $5 a piece, which is outrageous! My flint cost me $1.65 each to give you an idea on what they should cost. Hope that helps.

If anyone has an economical Canadian source for flint, I'm all ears. If you do, please PM me :)
 
Depending on where you're from, it would do you little good to look for flint in your local environment. I'm told there is no source of natural flint in Ontario as example- which I find odd as Flint Michigan is a stones throw{see what I did there?} from south west Ontario.

When you find it, buy lots. I'm sure it's shelf life will outlast the firearm:p. And shooting B. Bess' or similar heavy spring muskets/rifles the flint will only last 10 shots or so.
 
Depending on where you're from, it would do you little good to look for flint in your local environment. I'm told there is no source of natural flint in Ontario as example- which I find odd as Flint Michigan is a stones throw{see what I did there?} from south west Ontario.

When you find it, buy lots. I'm sure it's shelf life will outlast the firearm:p. And shooting B. Bess' or similar heavy spring muskets/rifles the flint will only last 10 shots or so.

I just got 30 shots out of my sea service musket today with a nicely napped texas chert, it has a really heavy spring.

I hear ya but it can really depend on the specific rock.
 
Last edited:
Track of the Wolf, Possibles shop, will supply U with everything from pillow ticking, cast round balls, flints, Molds for your caliber if U want to roll yur own ball, and everything U could want for yur possibles. WholeSale sports here in Canada also sells flints and some possibles but not near the selection U will find in the states. Just google on the net for track or possibles shop.
 
In my flintlock the Tom Fuller English knapped flints from Track of the Wolf work much better than the machine cut flints you usually find in stores in Canada. For another Canadian source you could try Hillfolk Musket Supplies, Senlac, Saskatchewan.
 
Depending on where you're from, it would do you little good to look for flint in your local environment. I'm told there is no source of natural flint in Ontario as example- which I find odd as Flint Michigan is a stones throw{see what I did there?} from south west Ontario.

When you find it, buy lots. I'm sure it's shelf life will outlast the firearm:p. And shooting B. Bess' or similar heavy spring muskets/rifles the flint will only last 10 shots or so.

Lots of flint/chert in Ontario, if you know where to look. Some of it is very high quality.
 
Lots of flint/chert in Ontario, if you know where to look. Some of it is very high quality.

there is no real source of flint in north America most of what people call flint is chert and volcanic glass(obsidian useless for flints) most of the chert I have found is not worth even trying to use(sitting on the surface too long a has freeze cracking in it)
 
there is no real source of flint in north America most of what people call flint is chert and volcanic glass(obsidian useless for flints) most of the chert I have found is not worth even trying to use(sitting on the surface too long a has freeze cracking in it)

guess that would explain why the southern states have nice chert.
 
guess that would explain why the southern states have nice chert.

yeah but it can even happen down south if you want real good stuff you have to dig. when I had a flintlock I bought flints in bulk but for guys who want to know glass is a good substitute for obsidian from bottle bottoms or tube tv screens(this stuff is thick) and makes decent arrow heads
 
Where you are might help. Epp's is a Traditions dealer and they carry a lot of stuff nobody else does. Contact them.
What makes you think Flint, Mi. has anything to do with stones?
 
If anyone stops in to watch the 1812 Canadian reenactors, they will find flint for sale at the pioneers trading tents. Usually 2 bucks a piece. Right shape and size for your Bess.
 
Back
Top Bottom