Need help identifying a gun!

student of history

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Hey Gents,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section! A friend of mine recently acquired this firearm and needs info on it. He turned to me but my interests are a little more contemporary so I was hoping some of you antique/black power gurus would be able to tell me a) what he's got and b) when/where it was used!

Thanks for everyone's time!

photo208.jpg
 
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll work on getting more pictures but as I mentioned, it isn't actually my firearm so I'll have to ask him. I am however told that it has broad arrow markings on it -- did the commonwealth ever use any of these carbines?
 
Yes its a M1851 .71 caliber austrian cavalry carbine, these were converted from a tube lock to percussion and sent overseas during the civil war. They were purchased by the confederacy in large numbers.

They are alot of fun to shoot!

Cheers, McLean
 
Oh wow, thanks for the info! So if this thing is broad arrow marked would it have been bought by the British who then sold it to the South? I'm not 100% sure how it found its way to Canada.

You say they're lots of fun to shoot, do they still make the ammo for them? :p
 
There was one much like it for sale on the ee a few months ago....a real beauty aswell.

As usual the moment I had the money it was sold ha ha ha.
 
the broad arrow would indicate that it was british property. It would seem pretty unlikely to me that Britain would stamp it with a broad arrow before shipping to the US

cheers mooncoon
 
I have seen a postwar ledger of shipments of arms of all sorts coming into windsor and that area here in Nova Scotia after the civil war, muskets and carbines by the crate and bayonets by the barral full, it more then likely came in one of those shipments I would think.
 
Thanks for all the info gents, I'm sure my friend will be very appreciative! I know pricing is kind of delicate issue on here but could someone please tell me a rough range for one of these? The man doesn't want to sell it, he's just wondering for his own piece of mind.
 
Back
Top Bottom