Need Help identifying and valuing Spanish Pistol Muzzleloaders

dizzy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
162   0   0
Here is an unfired set of muzzleloader pistols made in Spain, in fact the only markings I could find on the pistols was Spain stamped on the bottom of the barrel, as in pictures. This set was apparently given as a gift to the President of Peru by the king of Spain years ago, many years ago. It is in the hands of a collector of many Peruvian items so the story although not documented is very believable. Hopefully someone can help as they have been offered to me. Thanks folks.

DSC_0034.jpg


DSC_0046.jpg


DSC_0037.jpg
 
Are you sure they are actually old? They look remarkably like some replicas that were made within the last 20 years. The replicas had very distinctive rifling and was a reproduction of the many grooved sharp pointed rifling done in Belgium. I find myself a bit skeptical that pistols made in the mid 1800s would have Spain stamped on them as opposed to proof marks and perhaps a makers stamp

cheers mooncoon
 
I agree with Mooncoon somethings not right here.
That case is had the lineing redone by the look of it.
Looks like someone trying hard to make them look old.
Id be very carefully buying theses guns.
 
they look the same as a set I just looked up in an old dixie gunworks catelogue from the 1970s.....and thier made in spain!, I'd watch it if I were you someones trying to take you for a ride.
 
They're not worth much in that condition. Rusted and with at least one with a cracked stock.
"...very believable..." Buy the firearm, not the story. The 'Spain' only stamp indicates modern made replica, not antique. Pass on' em for the condition alone.
 
I can't verify the age on these at all as there are no markings anywhere other than 'spain' stamped on them, which looks like it was done with a typewriter. The rifling was very good, very distinct and did strike me as being unusual for something that should be very old, in fact it almost looked like it had serrations in it. I will pass on these gladly as I am not a muzzleloader guy and have no interest in acquiring anything that is even remotely suspect. Sure appreciate the comments. Especially from Moncoon. Thinking about it why would Spain stamp a pistol in English, especially during the 1800's? That raises my eyebrows.
 
I guess I am swinging with popular opinion on these pistols, but would point out that sometimes the only markings I have seen on antiques have been less than obvious and under the wood. You might not get a true picture until you had an opportunity to take them apart. The Spain marking could just be a US, country of origin import mark(US Tariff Act of 1930) and be of no signifigance to providence.
 
I've handled alot of pistols made in spain from the 60s and 70s ...thier all marked like that under the barral or on the flat of the barral on the lefthand side ...these look just like a few I said I saw in an old dixie gunworks from the 70s, and dixe used to sell cases just like that one, be careful, I'd pass on them personly rather then give someone the satisfaction of thinking they ripped someone off.
 
Back
Top Bottom