Well, actually it’s a Belgian copy. The seller thought it was in 44 Russian, but it clearly isn’t. I need some help identifying what it is exactly that I’ve got. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Here is the link to some photos: http://sdrv.ms/1846gKk
1. Chambers.
The 44 Russian only fits about 25% of the way into the chamber. The chambers are not stepped and have a bit of a taper that goes from about .462 to about .439 (measured with a caliper). I’d do a cast, but I don’t know what materials to use for it.
2. Bore.
8 inch barrel. Very dense rifling of a type sometimes seen on Galand/Perrin guns. The bore slugs at .425 across lands and .445 across grooves (+/-.002)
3. Markings.
Pre-1893 Liege stamp and letter T with a star above it. The serial number is 3 and it is the only number on the gun. I can only guess that very few of these were produced. The barrel address says Smith&Wesson, but it clearly is a Belgian gun.
4. Overall fit and finish.
It was made to look like a S&W 3rd model Russian, but parts wouldn’t be interchangeable. The overall fit and finish are very good. Lock-up and mechanics are superb. It clearly is a copy, but it is of very good quality and wasn’t a cheap one.
Here is the link to some photos: http://sdrv.ms/1846gKk
1. Chambers.
The 44 Russian only fits about 25% of the way into the chamber. The chambers are not stepped and have a bit of a taper that goes from about .462 to about .439 (measured with a caliper). I’d do a cast, but I don’t know what materials to use for it.
2. Bore.
8 inch barrel. Very dense rifling of a type sometimes seen on Galand/Perrin guns. The bore slugs at .425 across lands and .445 across grooves (+/-.002)
3. Markings.
Pre-1893 Liege stamp and letter T with a star above it. The serial number is 3 and it is the only number on the gun. I can only guess that very few of these were produced. The barrel address says Smith&Wesson, but it clearly is a Belgian gun.
4. Overall fit and finish.
It was made to look like a S&W 3rd model Russian, but parts wouldn’t be interchangeable. The overall fit and finish are very good. Lock-up and mechanics are superb. It clearly is a copy, but it is of very good quality and wasn’t a cheap one.


















































