need help on antique 1894 value

hunterhenderson

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
536   0   1
Location
East Kootenays
Ive had a model 94 saddle ring carbine 20 inch barrel for years and have no need for it, wondering what a reasonable price to ask would be.Receiver is perfect mechanical condition, last time i shot it 10 years ago it shot fine.5 digit serial number,manf in 1896 and its chambered in 38/55 , you can clearly see rifling in bore but its not crisp or clean and looks worn.
IMG_2505-1.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg
 
I'd ask no less than 600 $.
The tang sight is worth 250 +/-
Collectors will downgrade it but as a antique that you shoot moose with...it's worth 600 I'd say.
The tang sight is unusual on a carbine I'd think. 20" lever probably won't group as good as the tang sight can aim.
If it was a deal maker or breaker I'd not hesitate to sell the rifle and sight separately.
Might even make more money that way.
 
I would think, with the sight you should be over $1,000.00 considering the saddle ring and the caliber. Just an opinion. My "Blue Book of Gun Values" says this.....Saddle ring carbine, 60% condition, $1,000.00 and "add 40% for any caliber other than 30-30 or 32 Sp". .....so, $1,400.00. Dave ...... these are rare in that condition, that caliber and with the sight it will sell for what it's worth. I'd start it at $1,500.00
 
Last edited:
I would say maybe around $800- not easy to find 38-55 carbines - it is in avg shape, but is an early gun. But a Lyman tang sight for an 1894 - even that early variation - is not worth $250 plus. They generally max out around $150, the sight on their own. Maybe in mint shape with the box. If so, I have several I can sell you, on their own or in the box:) Now, a Lyman tang sight coded for the 1886 is another story all together. Even a grey one will bring a minimum of $300 in today's market.
Looks like a nice honest carbine though, you should have no trouble at all selling it. Especially with the addition of a nice old tang sight.
Good luck.
Matt
 
Looks like a nice clean old carbine. I agree with Matt, in my area you would be doing well to get $800 out of her. Hard to tell if the rear folding leaf sight is original, probably aftermarket. So it has a Lyman tang sight (125 value around here) but it is missing the saddle ring carbine sight, kinda evens things out in the sight department. In my experience Blue Book gun values are out to lunch in Canada. The market is much larger in the U.S. and that is reflected in Blue Book values.
 
In conversations with several Winchester collectors in the US, there are lots of folks down there that find the Bluebook is out to lunch on prices in the US as well. I don't recall the last time I looked at mine.
Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom