Need help to ID this gun

Probably Belgian with no manufacturers mark, you could tell by the proof marks on the barrel flats(bottom of the barrels when removed from action). Looks like the stock split at the wrist and someone reinforced it with metal. I'd say wallhanger without closer examination.
 
My guess is that is is a british gun but fallen on hard times. With a bit of luck there is a maker's name on the top rib or on the locks or both. Proof marks should show country of origin and you will find them on the bottom of the barrels near the breach

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanx everyone for your insight.
The pictures are indeed close.
This weekend I will look closer to find some markings.
 
Sometimes you can get a real shock.

Bought a grungy old 10-gauge from the hardware when I was in high-school, took it home and found that 10-bore shells wouldn't fit: too long and too fat. Just about gave up on it, then I wrote a letter to the factory..... after I found out who the successors were.

It turned out to be a W.C. Scott & Son (later Webley & Scott, now on their own again) that they built, they think, about 1870. And the reason that my shells wouldn't fit was simple: it was an 11-gauge double! They didn't even know that they had built a couple.

You never know what might have crawled out of the woodwork until you have cleaned it up and checked all the markings.

Good luck!
 
those are unquestionably belgian proofs. I am surprised because with the gold inlay and engraving it looks like it was once a moderately high quality gun. Possibly when you take the locks out, you may find it is a better than average quality gun

cheers mooncoon
 
That is great to know.
Any idea on year of this gun?
I'm not sure what you are referring to by removing the locks to determine quality.
 
That is great to know.
Any idea on year of this gun?
I'm not sure what you are referring to by removing the locks to determine quality.

I think production of percussion guns more or less petered out by the mid 1860s. To remove the locks, you can see a screw just ahead of and partly covered by the left hammer. If you #### the hammer and undo the screw (bolt actually) you can wiggle the locks and take them out of the stock. They may have a little hook in the front keeping the front in place.
On most belgian guns, the finish and polishing of the internal parts is fairly rough as they were produced for the economy market. I am guessing that the internal parts on your gun will be polished or at least show no tool marks and be fairly well made.

cheers mooncoon
 
DO THAT for sure.

The Belgians built a LOT of guns for the cheap-oh end of the market. They were rugged and solid and worked allright and they were cheap. Those are the ones that people usually think of.

But they also built some VERY good stuff. If it's inlaid with gold, it ain't junk. So that's something we know.

And YOU are the guy who gets to find out (after 150 years) just what it really is.

Have fun? I think you're about due for a dose of it any time now.
 
I had a look at the triggers and I didn't see any machining marks.
Tho I really not sure what i was looking for. I did find a "F" stamp on the inside if this means anything.
Here are some pics of the trigger mechanism
http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/Molanee/Trigger/



Also on a side note, going through my father inlaw's guns (he has been collecting for about 60 years)
I came across this gem tucked away in his cabinet. Its a 45 70 US Army Springfield, he said its quite accurate for such a big bore.
http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/Molanee/Springfield/
 
Those are not the trigger mechanisms, that is the left lock (mechanism). It seems to be well made and on par with mid grade british locks. What is what looks like a piece of tape on the hammer? Sort of brass coloured with letters or something on it.
If the gun is tight and the barrels not pitted, I am guessing it is shootable with black powder loads.

cheers mooncoon
 
Doh,
Ok I took the wrong thing apart.
I will chat with my father in law now that I'm back home and see if he can look at it.
 
Doh,
Ok I took the wrong thing apart.
I will chat with my father in law now that I'm back home and see if he can look at it.

I don't think so; you removed and photographed the inside of the lock plate and that is where we can see the quality or lack thereof indicating how well the gun was made. As said previously, I think the locks are reasonably well made and better than the average belgian gun.

cheers mooncoon
 
There still are surprises awaiting. Couple of years ago, I bought up a batch of old hammer shotguns that a nearby shop wanted rid of. Just couldn't think of them going to the welder. Paid for them out of my disability pension and took them home.

One is the NICEST little 16-bore hammer double I've ever seen. Points just beautifully, balance is wonderful, sling swivels are factory, very nice engraving, wood just one very little bit this side of exhibition grade. Obviously it is a Settlement-period lady's gun.... and the lady had very good taste. Took it down for inspection and cleaning and there they were: BELGIAN proof-marks.

They did build some very nice stuff. My only complaint about this gun is that the Artists who built it didn't sign their work. They definitely should have.

Keep us posted on your adventures!
 
Back
Top Bottom