Need help to identify an antique flintlock pistol

dauph197

Regular
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi Guys,

If any of you have some information about this flintlock pistol, I would be glad to read what you think about it. I apologize for the very poor quality pictures but this is what happen when time is missing.

First, I thought it was French made. But the more I search about it, the less certain I am about where it is from. The name engrave on the flintlock looks to be "Lamiolle" or "Laniolle". The decorative inserts look like to be something related to the artillery but I'm still not sure about it. The last picture shows some very strange markings that give me headache!!

What you guys think...

Period?

Maker?

Country?

Caliber seems to be French, it is .70", which made 17,6 mm which equal to "18 balles à la livre" so, French military caliber.

Enjoy the pictures and share your knowledge.

Cheers,

Martin

















 
the decoration on the gun is certainly impressive in quantity as well as well done. I get the impression that the barrel may have been cast to get some of the high relief decoration towards the breach. The writing on the lock looks french from what little I can see. How about posting another photo with a good closeup of the writing on the lock plate. On the left side of the breach there appears to be some middle eastern writing characters. The overall appearance, particularly the decoration makes me think the gun could be french but those middle eastern characters on the left side make me think that the gun ended up in the middle east at some point
Is the gun yours or is it in an auction or a museum?

cheers mooncoon
 
The pistol belongs to the Museum where I'm working as volunteer. I can't get a better picture as the weapon is in exhibition now. At some point, I have the feeling that the maker did the pistol for a Middle East man or was working in the Middle east... I can't find anything about the maker, what ever I try with "Lamiolle" or "Laniolle". Still a great mystery!

Thanks for your input!
 
Back
Top Bottom