Need help. What gun is this?

sookie_69

CGN Regular
Rating - 98.8%
81   1   0
Location
Okanagan
only have the one pic but any help would be great. Need to know what type or model this is or our anyone can tell if its an antique or restricted. Ill have more info tomorrow just trying to get prepared. Thanks.
Screenshot_20171209-220503.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20171209-220503.jpg
    Screenshot_20171209-220503.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 308
It is of the genre called a pocket pistol, and although I can't quite make it out, might it have turn-off barrel? That is, does the barrel unscrew to load? I suspect so, as there is no ramrod. It has the appearance of being antique, but grip panels of that style seem rather odd to me on what purports to be a firearm of the mid-19thC. Is it, in fact, a real firearm?

More images are needed, including any markings or stamps.

tac
 
The proportions seem out of place; lock plate is not standard (especially with the hammer apparently pivoting near the top, why have a lock plate at all? Normally the hammer should be larger, positioned in the middle of the lock so it has maximum travel/leverage. The springs in that era are most commonly V- or leaf springs, so the hammer has to be further down and back to work properly. A Boxlock pocket pistol has the hammer higher, yes - but usually encased in a steel receiver) and the colouring of the wood (granted the picture is lousy) looks strange. I can't really tell if it's a flinter or a capper, but the firing mechanism is in a different location than one would expect for a full wood stock pistol.

Like Tacfoley says, need more pictures but it could be a non-firing "replica" gun, or a 20th Century knock-off. Also agreed those grip panels are way out of place.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I’ll have more pics in a couple hours. It was found in a storage locker yesterday and the guy doesn’t want it. I was just hoping I could get an answer on it being antique. He can’t find any markings so I’ll give it a look over and throw pics as soon as I see it.
 
^ This.

To my mind it is about as much an antique as I am. It looks like trouble in the approximate shape of a mid-19thC pistol. I hafta admit that the barrel looks very much like a piece of stainless steel to me....

tac
 
Thanks guys. I’ll have more pics in a couple hours. It was found in a storage locker yesterday and the guy doesn’t want it. I was just hoping I could get an answer on it being antique. He can’t find any markings so I’ll give it a look over and throw pics as soon as I see it.

Can the next picture have no back ground? Take it on a white or black piece of paper.
 
So..... funny story.... it's a lighter!! I love people that don't have a clue. It's pretty awesome though
20171210_130952.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20171210_130952.jpg
    20171210_130952.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 165
Flame would come from where you would put the percussion cap. I'll throw some fluid and flint in tonight and see if it fires up. It's all metal too...... might buff out really nice?
 
Back
Top Bottom