Need help! What model and year is my old winchester?

96er

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have an old winchester that I would like to know some more info on. It is a Winchester, lever action, octagon barrel.

Serial # is 184391. Says wcf 30 on the barrel. It has peep sites as well as the regular open sites. Doesn't have a side plate on the right side near the ejector plate like I noticed some have. I have checked out the Winchester site and see a model 1873 lines up with a serial number as mine but then I see a model 1895 that does too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ah, one more thing where would one find the elevator plate for the rear sight?
 
Pictures would help a lot, a description of what it doesn't have doesn't go very far.
How does it lock up the bolt, by two parallel locking bars or one rear locking plate? Are there any patent numbers on it?
 
If it's .30 WCF it's likely an 1894 made in 1900. The model number should be stamped on the tang behind the hammer. If it has a tang peep, that might be covering it up. The 1873 was for pistol calibre cartridges, and was never suitable for .30 WCF ( .30-30). Google some pics and the difference in models should be very apparent.
 
Hi all. I have an old winchester that I would like to know some more info on. It is a Winchester, lever action, octagon barrel.

Serial # is 184391. Says wcf 30 on the barrel. It has peep sites as well as the regular open sites. Doesn't have a side plate on the right side near the ejector plate like I noticed some have. I have checked out the Winchester site and see a model 1873 lines up with a serial number as mine but then I see a model 1895 that does too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ah, one more thing where would one find the elevator plate for the rear sight?

Good morning,

Your rifle is "most likely" a Model 1894 sporting rifle and serial number 184391 was actually manufactured during 1903. You might find this an interesting read: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/when-exactly-was-your-gun-manufactured-1404.html As was mentioned, if there is a folding peep sight mounted on the upper tang it is covering the Model designation which would look like the attached photo.
IMG_0668.jpg


I hope this helps
Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom