Need help with Holland and Holland ID

gutinater

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 99.5%
203   1   0
Location
Edmontonia
I was over at my great uncles the other day when out of the blue he told me he had an antique rifle to show me. Turns out its a Holland and Holland single shot break action .22 hornet. Decent condition. He also has a scope for it with quick detachable rings, that may be antique or original to the gun. Here are the pics. If I remember right it said 1890? on the barrel. Any Idea what model this is, or what it might be worth? Sorry for the lousy cell phone pics

2011-07-01163841.jpg


2011-07-01163829.jpg
I believe it is the same model as this rifle.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1367516
 
.22 Hornet did not exist in 1890. So if the 1890 on the barrel is actually a date, and if the rifle is in .22 Hornet, something has been done to it.
It is what the British referred to as a rook rifle. Being H&H it will be decent quality.
Hard to say about the scope without more photos.
 
The hornet was derived from the .22 WCF (IIRC the designation being .22-10-45). I would suggest contacting Holland & Holland to see what it would be, and if there are any records (which may prove to be spotty). Wonderful little piece.
 
x2 on contact H&H. They will have a record of when it was made, for whom, when it was shipped, etc.

More pictures! :)

Cheers
Trev
 
Octogonal barrel

Scope: weaver 04 tex USA, obviously not orginal or even very old Im guessing.
Markings on gun:

Side of barrel: winners of all field rifle trials 1883

Holland and Holland 98-new bond S. London. 250 Semi Mooth boor (May have misheard my uncles french accent LOL)

Side of Receiver
Serial # 10900 behind trigger.
 
From the 32nd Edition (2011) Fjestad Blue Book, page 976:

Rook Rifle - .250,... black powder cals., single shot, break-open action, various levels of embellishment - Royal Models were made but most Rook rifles were base models with few extra features. Disc.

Values today range from $1,000 (average condition, small cal.) to $3,000 (larger cal., engraving, better wood, perhaps cased).

I hope this helps. :)
 
Yes, the scope is not old.
Drilled and tapped holes will hurt collectors' value.
Have a good look at the breech and muzzle, see if the bore has been sleeved for the Hornet.
Anyway, notwithstanding the Blue Book, I think that it would be very difficult to reach those values, particularly with an altered rifle.
I thnk its value would be as a rather stylish walk around hunting rifle.
 
According to some information I have out of a Holland and Holland book Rook Rifles serial numbers started at 10850 to 10999 and this is from 1887 to 1888 then in January of 1889 they started at 13000. So by this the gun should be 1887, 88 Why Holland and Holland changed there serial number ranges I don't know but they also did this with the Paradox guns. The 250 was a standard shell of H&H. The action on that gun is the standard Anderson and Deely action that was used by a lot of makers, I have one with Westley Richards on it another with Murray on it. H&H also made a hamerless action but are not to common.
John
 
"Semi Smooth Bore" will be H&H's version of oval-bore rifling. They couldn't call it "oval-bore" because that was a Charles Lancaster trademark.

INTER - ESTING!!!

What a Great Little Toy you have!

Verily, Sir, I drool!
.
 
Holland and Holland 98-new bond S. London. 250Semi Mooth boor (May have misheard my uncles french accent LOL)

He is saying 'semi-smooth bore' - as smellie notes, a kind of Lancaster-style oval bore [the gun-maker, not the county in the USA]. It was orignally in .250 Rook calibre, a tiny centre-fire cartridge originally called 297/250 Rook that fired a 56gr lead bullet at 1150fps from 6.5gr of BP.

Our local dealer has one in somewhat better condition that this one for almost $2000.

Unsurprisingly, it remains on the rack.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom