Need info- double barrel gun

8.5mm

Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   1
Location
newfoundland
I just got this gun come in the mail from a great gentleman on here named gunsaholic (sorry if I spelled it wrong) he's an A+ seller, anyways it's a double barrel 24? Gauge, I want to know any information I can get, I'll tell you what I know.
W&C Scott and son is the maker
image_zpsw20ep9mf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
It has laminated steel barrels
image_zps36wfwp5o.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
They measure approximately 5/8's of an inch
image_zpsx6kd62tf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
The over all length of the gun is 48 inches
image_zpsizo1mnjy.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
The length of the barrels measured to the obviously replaced nipples is 32 inches long
image_zpsw20ep9mf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
And last but most interesting of it all, here is what makes me thing it's a 24/25 gauge side by side. W&C Scott and son were known for putting a number on the barrel to tell you the gauge. I've seen 12/13 a few times meaning 12 gauge with 13 gauge and even with extensive research I could not find one like this.
[URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/jonahlikesguns/media/image_zpsw5hvgexf.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/jonahlikesguns/image_zpsw5hvgexf.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]
I read online once that w&c scott and son very rarely made small caliber shotguns as special order guns for taxidermists very few of these were made and they went unrecorded. What do you guys think?

After reading tiriaq's comment I got these photos looking for more information, here is a caliber measurement of the left barrel
image_zps0hnvmxhr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
And here is one of the right barrel
image_zpsvdcb0zkq.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
Also it do look like there was something added on that I never even noticed, it gets thinner the further to the left it gets, almost like if the gun was diagonal and they added something to straighten it.
image_zpsrwpqakwa.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is how thick it is on the left side
image_zps1c9xpy3d.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Almost invariably there will be a gauge number between the proof marks on a British made gun.
24/25 just means that the bores weren't quite the same size when the proof house gauged them. Would make no difference whatsoever. I had a barrel set that was 20/21.
24ga is nominally .577. 24 bore was the standard size used in HBC trade guns, both fusils and single and double shotguns. Useful for ball or shot.
Smaller bored shotguns were less common than larger. Not much has changed. How many 20ga Cooeys do you see for every 12ga?
Looking at the photos of the lock, it is apparent that the replacement nipple isn't screwed in all the way. Is it bottomed out?
In the same photos, there is a vertical line about 1/8" back from the face of the standing breech, right behind the breech plug. Is this a separate plate that was added to the standing breech by soldering or silver brazing? If it is, that is a bit troubling.
 
This is a muzzleloader. I was told the 24 and 25 are the sizes of the bores. Being a muzzleloader , there are no chambers like a vintage breech loading gun where you can have say a 12 gauge chamber with stampings of a 16 gauge bore. There is no other gauge number stamped on the gun to indicate gauge. This gun I believe is from around 1850 era give or take.

I may be wrong but that line behind the breech plug is a fine silver insert as far as I know. Whether it was to fill in a joint I cannot say.

Also, when measuring the end of the muzzles now one must remember that they are not concentric and likely a bit larger than when originally made.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom