Need info on 3 & 1/2" Magnum Slug's

Satain

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
Rating - 98.6%
275   4   0
I'll be heading up into bear country this long weekend & I was wondering if anyone know's were I could get some 3 & 1/2" Magnum Slug's for my shotie?
Any were in the Lowermainland or in the Okanagan would be great.
 
There's a company called Lightfield that makes a 3.5" slug.

wwww.lightfieldslugs.com/Lightfield/Products/Detail/?c=91&p=373

No one else makes them, at least as far as I know.
 
american company so I highly doubt you would even be able to find them in Canada. Wonder if a dealer on the site would bring in a few cases and be willing to sell them.
 
How hard would it be to load your own?

Don't know much about reloading shotshells, but I've always thought it would be fun to load my own super-mag slugs.
 
There is little to no gain over a 3" slug and a 3" slug has minimal gains over a 2 3/4" slug. Get some Brennekes or challengers, the slightly less intense recoil of the 2 3/4" will in theory allow faster follow up shots.
 
There has to be a difference between a 3 & 1/2 inch slug and a 2 & 3/4 inch slug. Also I have an axiom stock with an extra R3 recoil pad so 3inch magnums have no effect on my speed or accuacy. This is why I am only interested in the 3 & 1/2 inch magnum slug. Just wish I could be able to pack my 500 S&W instead of a big bulky shotgun since we are only going camping hiking this long weekend.
 
Lightfield reports that their 600 grain (1 3/8 oz) sabot slugs leave the barrel at 1890 fps. That's pretty freakin fast for a 600 grain slug... if what they're reporting is in fact accurate.
 
A cast sabot type slug or the 1 3/8oz. round ball would be excellent in the 3 1/2" case, there must be loading data for these combos somewhere....
 
b:
600 grain @ 1890 fps!
ben hunchak I like were your going with this 1 3/8oz in the 3 1/2" case idea. If you figure out the load data could you please post back here and I will try to make it myself then.
Thanx ;)
 
I'll use the .735" round ball, the cushion part of the WW 7/8oz. silver wad, and a healthy charge of HS-7, I have a bunch of silver Kent empties, and will have to decide on the crimp, folded or rolled. My Browning Maxus I.C. choke measures .733" so I'm sure that the dimensions should work. I may also try the cast sabot slug, which is much lighter but hits very hard.
 
Good grief - a 3.5" slug? I doubt the recoil would be worth it and your followup shots would be slow. Will it be that much more effective than a 3" round?
 
ben hunchak, maybe try making a small hole in the front of the slug. It would be interesting to see if hollow-pointing a slug would make it hit any harder.
 
Back
Top Bottom