Need info on a Ball & Williams carbine

piper394

Regular
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
manitoba
I'm in the process of restoring a Ball & Williams ( Ballard) rimfire carbine to shooting condition but need to do some work on the extractor. These have the external, manual extractor, and I can't find any reference that shows the specs . If anyone has one for reference , even a decent picture, I'd appreciate it. Pics and measurements would be ideal. I know it's a long shot, but hey never know till you try.
Thanks
Brent
 
If no one on CGN has one to provide photos / measurements check out U. S. patent 33631 of Nov. 6, 1861 for a very small scale drawing and also check out the NRA Museum website with a photo of the Marlin- Ballard sporting rifle which has an open breech photo of the chamber portion of the extractor that MAY be similar.
 
Brent,

I see you are trying to restore a Ball &Williams Ballard Patent Carbine to shooting condition. If you are fortunate enough to have the dual ignition breech block, which was introduced when Ball and Williams were manufacturing these Ballard Patent firearms, you will be able to fire the carbine much like a centrefire, by poking a hole in the middle of the end of an empty rimfire case and fixing a percussion cap on the nipple in the breech block. Some Ball & Williams have the percussion nipple in the breech block and some don’t.

I’m not quite sure just what work you need to do on the extractor, or what specs you are looking for Does you carbine lack the original forearm/extractor? These early rimfire cartridges were made with soft copper instead of brass and the robust Ball & Williams extractors were very effective, even with a dirty chamber.

I have attached some pics and info from John Dutcher’s excellent book on Ballard Patent Rifles.

View attachment 132161

View attachment 132162

Regards,
Powderman
 
Here is a view of the external extractors on a couple of pre-Marlin Ballards I own. The top is a Merrimack Arms & Manufacturing Co. The bottom is a R. Ball & Co.and would be the same as your Ball & Williams.

View attachment 132600


Regards,
Powderman
 
Back
Top Bottom