Need Info on H & R single shot rifle please

graydog

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
610   0   0
Location
Okanagan, BC
Hi
I have a chance to buy and H & R rifle that has a 45-70 barrel as well as a 38-55 barrel. It seems to me I have read somewhere that there was problems with these rifles when they were chambered in the 38-55. Does anyone out there know of this or have heard of bad things about these rifles. Any and all help on this matter will be much appreciated.
Thanks Graydog
 
I have read about chamber problems on one of the forums out of the USA. They have said the chamber is cut to use a .375 dia. bullet and the bore is around .379 dia. If you try and load the shell with a .379 dia. bullet then it won't chamber. Also a couple of people posted there that the sights had to be put way to the side of the barrel to hit the target. This is what I have read about.
Thanks Graydog
 
Chamber smaller then the bore is not a good thing me thinks.....I'm sure they have fixed it now but I recall a problem with the action coming unlatched and opening partially on firing, this was however in the higher intensity chamberings, and like I said, I saw it happen with a 22-250 many years ago. For me, the stock is way too thick at the wrist and have never handled one that felt comfortable. If they just made it to match the metal in dimensions(where they meet at the wrist) they'd be okay for me.
 
I have a 38-55 that will throw winchester factory jacketed bullets side ways throgh the target at 50 meters. shoots well with soft cast bullets and black powder though. the only compaint I have with mine is the weak extractor/ejector system.
Jed
 
Back
Top Bottom