Need soft lead bullets

vega

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Location
BC Interior
Hey Gents.

I've tried a bunch of places around the country and have not been able to find anybody who sells bullets compatible with black powder loads.

Specifically, I'm looking for .458's in 405 and 350 grain in about a 20-1 alloy and .429's for the .44wcf, in the same softness all lubed with SPG or equivalent, or even just un-lubed at all.

Track lists that stuff but nothing is in stock, and I'm not in a position to cast them myself.

Anyone know of a source? Especially in Canada?

Tnx.
 
As for lead, soft is difficult to come by. I don't have time to cast myself but bought some soft-cast from a guy I know. They came unlubed.

Bullet Barn tells me that they will sell the bullets unlubed, but they are hard cast - hard cast by itself isn't all that bad with BP I use them frequently with good results; the most important factor seems to be the lube.

As for lube, TONS of different thoughts & recipes out there, I like beeswax and olive oil, melt it down and pour it over your unlubed bullets then use an empty case to cut out each bullet after the lube cools. A little time consuming but it works.
 
Thanks Bud. I don't mind using hard cast in modern guns if I'm not hunting, but as to old timers I like the soft alloys because it is easier on the bore. I've also found over time that pure lead or close to it works a lot better on game when bullet weights and velocities are modest in rounds like the .44wcf.
 
I have bought .458 cal 405 gr 1:20 alloy slugs from Larry Caponero at Leprechaun Shooting Supplies in Revelstoke, BC and had good results in my 45-90. Phone @ 250 - 837 - 3773. He may have what you need and carries all sorts of black powder supplies - including even black powder itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom