need some advice

plum27

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
London ontario
Hey guys

I'm looking for a decent entry level rifle for deer season in the fall. I have a regular rifle but in my area its only black powder/muzzleloader.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated
 
Traditional side-lock style or modern in-line?

Traditional style - a .50 cal Lyman Trade rifle.

In-line - a Traditions of some type. Several friends have one and they're good rifles for the price.
 
For traditional style you won't go wrong with a Thompson Center in .50/.54 cals. Will shoot reliably and can take a hunters load with no difficulty. Usually one will show up on the EE every week or so.
 
Hi. What's your budget? Last time I talked to the guys in Gobles, a Lyman BP rifle ran about $800. I was looking at flintlocks, but percussions are about the same. Mind you, $324 will buy you a TC Impact from Bullseye Sports on Wharncliffe. Haven't been in there, yet, so I know nothing about 'em. Live just down the street too.
Add the W's. .bullseyesports.ca/long-guns/black-powder-rifles.html
Suggest you buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Manual first. It's a good read and will tell you all about BP firearms. Starting with they get loaded in grains by volume.
 
my first choice would be a BREAK OPEN ..WOLF or T/C Triumph ..50 cal. ..my choice for bullets with a sabot would be BARNES EXPANDER XP .250 gr. and to keep it simple 2 pellets of T7 powder pellets for hunting..... .with T7 powder clean-up with soap and warm water.. .............for hunting keep it as simple as possible ......on the fire range for practice i use HORNADY SST 250 gr. very accurate but useless for hunting unless u like walking for hours after wounded deer ...
 
Back
Top Bottom