Need some answers if possible.

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
So today I finally got a chance to try my new Pedersoli Enfield. Too cold to stay long but long enough that only the caps went off. I had cleaned the gun and made sure there was no oil residue in breech or bolster. Also snapped off 3 caps 1st. I was using the 500gr minie and 60gr of Pyrodex RS. The only way it would fire was to remove the nipple and put in some powder. I also have Lyman GPR .54 Cal. and when I change from RB to minie that will happen also at times. I make sure only the grooves are lubed. I'll run this by you. In the skinny powder measure 60grs seems ok but when it's spread out at the bottom of a .577 barrel it must be near flat. The minie ball, .58 or .54 has quite a deep concave to it and I'm thinking it must cover up most of the powder thereby not leaving much for ignition. That era of soldiers would stuff the paper down on top of the charge. Would a wad of some kind work and would the skirt expand. I'm going to get a .562 RB mold also and use .010 patches, but that's a warmer weather idea. I love this rifle it is a loading problem. Thanks:runaway:
 
maybe its the powder maybe the caps are not enough for pyrodex or like you said the hollow base is filling up with powder maybe try filling it with something (in the civil war they did this to help expand the base on some designs) wax or a harder bp lube is used today for the most part
 
try using a bit more powder and / or when you pour the powder down, tap the barrel several times with you hand and the barrel vertical. may be that you are not getting any powder into the flash channel in the breach. Also try using real black powder; you may find it a bit easier to ignite at low temperatures

cheers mooncoon
 
try using a bit more powder and / or when you pour the powder down, tap the barrel several times with you hand and the barrel vertical. may be that you are not getting any powder into the flash channel in the breach. Also try using real black powder; you may find it a bit easier to ignite at low temperatures

cheers mooncoon

THIS.

Pyrodex RS needs around 700C to light up and boom. The real black barely needs half of that. Have a read of this - from a fellow BP-shooter - http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/black_powder.htm

tac
 
maybe its the powder maybe the caps are not enough for pyrodex or like you said the hollow base is filling up with powder maybe try filling it with something (in the civil war they did this to help expand the base on some designs) wax or a harder bp lube is used today for the most part

Yes, the orginal minie ball was designed with a steel plug that would expand the base. It was changed to what we know now by an American, Burton I think. The Brits used a smooth sided one called the Prichett.
 
Black powder is almost impossible to find here in Quebec. The last time I bought some it was at Accuracy Plus in Peterborough. Cabela's Cda. wants like $30 a lb. plus outrageous shipping no doubt.

If you are part of a group or a section of a fish and game club, by going together it becomes economical to buy a case (25 lbs) between the group of you. It is my impression that there is a supplier in Ontario which might give you fewer problems with Customs. The original mini changed a fair bit over time. By the time it was being used in Sniders, the two slugs that I recovered from a discontinued berm in Victoria, had clay like plugs that left only about .1" of a flat bottomed cavity. The skirt walls were also much thicker than the american version. These slugs I am guessing were shot somewhere between the first and second world wars. The berm is now gone and the area is now a park

cheers mooncoon
 
If you are part of a group or a section of a fish and game club, by going together it becomes economical to buy a case (25 lbs) between the group of you. It is my impression that there is a supplier in Ontario which might give you fewer problems with Customs. The original mini changed a fair bit over time. By the time it was being used in Sniders, the two slugs that I recovered from a discontinued berm in Victoria, had clay like plugs that left only about .1" of a flat bottomed cavity. The skirt walls were also much thicker than the american version. These slugs I am guessing were shot somewhere between the first and second world wars. The berm is now gone and the area is now a park

cheers mooncoon

really only two imports/dealers of real BP here in canada ellwood epps in ont and some place out in BC bring in alot of goex what ever your local gun shop has is what they have

neat about the snider bullets
 
really only two imports/dealers of real BP here in canada ellwood epps in ont and some place out in BC bring in alot of goex what ever your local gun shop has is what they have

neat about the snider bullets

I didn't see any on Epp's website. I'll call today. Pyrodex should work though, maybe Pyrodex P would be better? I do know that I don't like the nipple supplied with the gun. It has a minie like concave to it so the hole is further up. Anycase I ordered some new one's from TOTW, the store I should own by now.
 
Yes, the orginal minie ball was designed with a steel plug that would expand the base. It was changed to what we know now by an American, Burton I think. The Brits used a smooth sided one called the Prichett.

Sir - there were two versions tried out for the original Minié bullet. One had a baked clay [pottery] plug, and one had a wooden plug. After a period of trial, both were deemed unnecessary to encourage expansion.

tac
 
I didn't see any on Epp's website. I'll call today. Pyrodex should work though, maybe Pyrodex P would be better? I do know that I don't like the nipple supplied with the gun. It has a minie like concave to it so the hole is further up. Anycase I ordered some new one's from TOTW, the store I should own by now.

Sir - do NOT use Pyrodex P in any Snider case. It is a fast powder - the equivalent of FFFg - which is designed, as the name tells you, for pistols and revolvers. IF you can get hold of Pyrodex Cartridge, or RS [made for loose-loading but will do at a pinch] that MIGHT be better. A much-reduced charge of around 65gr of RS seems to produce results, but they are poor by comparison with the real Black stuff. Some experimentation will be needed, as will 20gauge fibre wads to fill the space. Here in yUK we use so-called 'pinks' after the colour of the material.

tac
 
Sir - do NOT use Pyrodex P in any Snider case. It is a fast powder - the equivalent of FFFg - which is designed, as the name tells you, for pistols and revolvers. IF you can get hold of Pyrodex Cartridge, or RS [made for loose-loading but will do at a pinch] that MIGHT be better. A much-reduced charge of around 65gr of RS seems to produce results, but they are poor by comparison with the real Black stuff. Some experimentation will be needed, as will 20gauge fibre wads to fill the space. Here in yUK we use so-called 'pinks' after the colour of the material.

tac

he's not loading for the snider but he is using the powder in a .58 muzzleloader
 
Back
Top Bottom