Need some help from fellow CGNer's

Darky

Regular
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Southern Ontario
Hey guys I have had two guns given to me by my dad they were my grandfathers was looking for any info that you can provide on them. I can't put up pics now as I'm not at home. Looking for dates, values (even though I would never sell them), what type of ammo they can shoot, and any info that you can give would be much appricated. Thanks.

1. Winchester Model 12, 12 ga. 2 3/4" vented rib Full choke stamped on it is Made in Newhaven Conn. US of America serial # 1038841 and all serial #'s match Very Good condition.

2. Neumann Bros. double barrel 410 two triggers, stamped on the gun is Choke bore on one barrel, Machine Made, Warranted Government Trust Serial # 8447 Good Condition.

Thanks Again.
 
Last edited:
The little .410 SXS Neumann could be a 2 1/2 in. gun. The ones I had seem to be in the 350.oo-450.00 range around here. Really fun things to shoot being so light. I only used light load 2 1/2s. I think made in the 1920s, but not sure.
The model 12 Win. was built in 1947 I think. I don't think a vent rib was common back then on these guns, but I don't know them that well. Maybe luck is on your side, and have a Pigeon grade, Skeet, or some other.
Both nice keepers.
 
Model 12 barrel length? Other than the serial number, is there anything like TRAP or SKEET stamped into the bottom of the receiver in front of the loading port. Condition of the bore and overall gun (remaining finish on wood and metal) mostly determines value.
 
You will NEVER find a sweeter shotgun than a good, original old Model 12.

For on thing, you can shoot them until the action works loose, spend 10 minutes on maintenance and tighten up the whole action again. They are one of the VERY few multiple-lifetime firearms out there. Use it, look after it, leave it to your OWN Grandson some day.

A 1947 gun should be chambered for the standard 2-3/4-inch shell. The 3-inch was still in the future, but quite a few had the chambers reamed later; something to heck, some time. You do NOT want to shoot this gun with STEEL shot; it will rip the Choke out of this fine old gun in about 4 boxes of shells. Whoever mandated steel shot should EAT 50 pounds of it and then go for a swim.

Neumann was a Belgian gun but a pretty fair one. ANY .410 double is a scarce piece and worth some effort,, except those 'orrble little folding Spanish things that were made out of compressed bubblegum. A Neumann is NOT in the same class as those! As with any gun with a sliding-bar lockup, a bit of grease on the locking-bar will go a LONG way toward making it last. Too many guys clean these nice and clean and don't put grease on the locking-bar..... and then are amazed when the gun works loose. "Cheap guns, ya know!" They last if they are maintained right.

You have a couple of Very Nice Toys, friend.
 
Back
Top Bottom