Need some honest opinions

Rogue_wave

Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi to all

I have decided to to expand my horizons and take in another deer season, so I want to purchase a muzzle loader. I am very new to this and haven't much experience or knowledge. What would you reccomend for me??, what to stay away from. I have been looking at different manufacturer's sites, such as T/C, CVA and Traditions. The model I'm currently looking at is the T/C Omega. Any opinions and advice greatly appreciated. I have also been looking the EE section here.

Cheers

R/W
 
Savage and Rem. do/did make an in-line bolt, scope mountable that would also take smokeless powder, if you want top accuracy and are a non-traditionalists.
 
If you want to experience Muzzle loading look at a traditional ML like a Hawken, or Kentucky type. Scoped rifles shooting sabot pistol bullets at 200+ yards is a far cry from an iron sighted patched round ball or maxi ball. My favorites are flint locks, and they are very reliable , and there is no mystery or voodoo needed to shoot them. They also look good.
TChawken.jpg
 
It depends what you want to do, if you're just looking to lengthen your deer season get the T/C Omega you're looking at, find a load that works with it and stick with that. If you want to get more traditional get a nice hawking like petew posted.
 
It depends what you want to do, if you're just looking to lengthen your deer season get the T/C Omega you're looking at, find a load that works with it and stick with that. If you want to get more traditional get a nice hawking like petew posted.
x2

I chuckle at the hero pictures titled "Look what I got with my Muzzle loader", and see a scoped 200+ yard gun leaning on the animal. I do by the way have an inline, scoped ML , but I don't use it for ML seasons. It shoots farther and more acurate than a 30-30.
 
If you are going to hunt in all weather; with wind and rain and wet snow then get a modern style that uses shotgun primers and offers some protection from the elements......TC's are good.
 
tc, traditions, cva, they're all good. All will give you acceptable hunting accuracy and reliability. I have a traditions pursuit and its been great. Only thing to remember is to take care of them and clean thoroughly after every shooting.
 
Ive hunted in snow rain and -25 with my flintlocks. I just use a lock cover and ive never had any issues. A percussiomnhawken in .50 cal eould work great for deer out to around 75 yards or so. You feel like davy crockett haha

Also they can be had for around 250-350 on the ee regularly.

Cheers, McLean
 
x2

I chuckle at the hero pictures titled "Look what I got with my Muzzle loader", and see a scoped 200+ yard gun leaning on the animal. I do by the way have an inline, scoped ML , but I don't use it for ML seasons. It shoots farther and more acurate than a 30-30.

This is so true! I saw a show on WildTV the other day that was even worse than the usual crap they air. The chubby hunter/host was shooting at muskoxen with an inline muzzleloader equipped with a 4-12x laser-rangefinding scope, at something like 300 yards. Unethical at best, and yet he was doing his utmost to sell the idea to his viewers. Just what we need...

To the OP: You might find an inline ML with 209 ignition a bit easier to use as a beginner. Personally, I think the traditionals are the way to go.
 
Back
Top Bottom