Needing help with identification of pistol

Dantforth

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I believe this to be a Flobert type parlour pistol or duelling pistol. It is smoothbore. Barrel is pristine as is the rest of the pistol. Only markings are either a makers mark or a proof mark. A serial number and a couple of assembly numbers. A friend believes it may be French or Belgian made. Can someone identify the maker, country of origin and time period. Is this an antique? No dates! Thanks, Dave
image.jpg
image.jpg
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
220, from my meager understanding it's action is somewhat similar to a rolling block. The hammer acts as the block and, in my photo, the hammer is back as if you were loading a cartridge. The pistol is complete. Mostly I am trying to find someone who can identify the mark and the era. I will try to take a photo of the pistol with action closed and post here later today. David
 
Well, I doggedly kept looking on line and finally was successful. I found an exact match in a pair of duelling pistols. I will copy the info here for all to see. Makers mark shown in photos is exact to the pistol my friend has.
image.jpeg
Flobert

Støckel: Flobert, Louis Nicolas Auguste, Paris, developed 1847 his rim fire cartridge, which is patented 23 July 1849. At the same time he develops his breech-system. In 1855 he opens his shop at 12 Bd St. Michel, where he offers highly decorated weapons. According to a Belgian collector friend the Flobert System is created by Julien Warnant.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 140
Respectfully suggest that they are Parlor pistols not duellers as they are made for indoor use with a very low power cartridge. After a dinner party the gents would retire to the parlour for cigars and whisky and set up a target in the fireplace and take turns shooting while the ladies took tea. I have several- all French-including one by Gastinne-Renette . LePage also made them and another maker was Loron. Seemed to be a fad in the 1850-1880 period. Nice to have. Have one identical to the ebony stocked pair that was converted to in-line percussion in .43 cal long ago. Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom