new enfield martini actions?

rgbai

Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
b.c. interior
Is there such a thing as new enfield martini actions? i just imported one from england that was sold as a
original antique action but it has no markings on it whatsoever and has clearly never been used





 
NOS for sure kind of odd to find 130+ years later. id love to make my own action using modern materials they are pretty a strong action in their antique form I know of one chambered in .577 2 3/4" black powder express that's about the longest cartridge that will fit
 
Looking at it now I cant say it looks right for NOS. There is no knurling on the little thumb pad. It almost looks half finished, which doesn't make sense IMO. The extractor pin/screw should be flush to the body as well, and there is no cut out for the lever axis pin locking screw.
 
It does look unfinished. A bit of a story to go with this. I have, in my collection, a series of Cooey model 84 receivers, 5 in total. They are in various stages of completion showing the steps they went through on the assembly line, from rough foundry cast to finished product. They came from the fellow who wrote the Cooey book. I doubt very much there is another set out there. Now if one didn't know the story or history behind them, one would wonder how these came about so many years later. Possibly the same type of thing with this Martini action? Possibly a defect was noted along the manufacturing process so it was set aside only to be swept up by an employee of the time? Another "new" mystery.
 
It wasn't unusual for actions to be supplied in an unfinished state to the trade. They would be completed as commercial rifles. Maybe that is the origin of yours.

Years ago, I saw an unfinished Alex Henry .500 Black Powder Express barrelled action. In the white, no lock.
 
It wasn't unusual for actions to be supplied in an unfinished state to the trade. They would be completed as commercial rifles. Maybe that is the origin of yours.

I have seen one many years ago like this with no trigger mech, I would agree with tiriaq.

If you are on Facebook,,, join the Martini Facebook Page.

You will get a good answer there.

ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/360259304071469/

If not, I could post it there for you.
 
Navy arms used to sell martini actions years ago, I recall.

I had always wondered what those were from. I can't remember for certain but I thought they were advertised as new.
 
Thanks guys for your help looks like i got a good deal here, i was going to put a shooter together with a bunch of used parts but i think i will blue the frame and get a new stock and build a really nice looking new old gun.
Thanks cigar man I joined the Facebook group and just waiting to be approved i didn't know there were Facebook groups.
 
Last edited:
What's with the big hole in the upper back of the receiver?

That is not a hole, although the pic is not the best, it's a thumb rest, unfinished.

Thumb rests where on short lever Martini MKI - MKIII

2014-07-10191942_zpsc1c6533e.png

MKI Martini Canadian Issue
 
Back
Top Bottom