New grips on an old iron (S&W DA)

762mm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hello everyone,

As I mentionned previously, I recently came into possession of an antique-status S&W First Model DA in a very nice shape (it shoots .44 spl/.44 Russian). Big thanks go out to Dingus once again for being such a great and honest guy to deal with. I literally wouldn't hesitate to send this guy 10,000$ in cash for a gun... because he is as reliable as a Swiss watch and his antiques are just as described (or even better, in real life).

Anyway, enough praise... :p The excellent & huge feedback he has speaks for itself. After receiving the gun, the only tiny little thing I didn't like was the way S&W decided to manufacture the grips some 130+ years ago. The grips are in great shape too, it's just the feel that wasn't right for me, so I decided to see what can be done WITHOUT modifying anything permanently on the gun, of course (I'd hate going "Bubba" on a collectible firearm!).

I had a pair of wood target grips for my Ruger Security Six lying around, so I decided, just out of curiosity, to see if they'd somewhat fit. And what do you know? they are almost a perfect fit, all that was needed is to relocate (drill) new support holes at the bottom and that was it! I've installed the target grips yesterday and now the gun has a whole new feel to it... I can easily operate it in double or single action with one hand, when previously it was hard to #### it or squeeze the trigger altogether (because the factory grips are tiny in comparison to the huge frame this gun has). Now all I have to do is wait for my die set to arrive in the mail in order to load some cowboy ammo. :D

Anyway, here are some pics... Let me know how you like it.

TargetGrips3.jpg


TargetGrips4.jpg


TargetGrips5.jpg
 
They look a little out of place but will be far more comfortable maybe some dark walnut stain
 
Heres a few pics of DA 1878 Colts with grips like a new service Colt has.

Theses are my favorite grips on this model the nice rubber ones are made by Colt are so rare most guys never seen a set.
They may look od on a Birds head grip frame gun but oh man use theses once and you wont ever want them tiny birds head grips again.
I have big hands theses grips work Ex and nothing on the gun is altered.

As long as the grips can come off and the orignal ones go back on no harm in makeing the guns more comfortable.


P1190049.jpg


P1190052.jpg
 
Looks good and practical to me. And, like Dingus says, since you didn't mod the gun and can always put the originals back on, there's no harm in doing it, especially if you want to shoot it.
 
Yes, exactly... thanks for the feedback on this. I really wanted to just leave the originals, but my hands aren't made for them. I have big palms and fairly small/stubby fingers, so I was unable to operate the gun properly. I had to place my pinky under the grip all the time just to be able to #### the gun with either hand - and forget about shooting DA with one hand, lol! The trigger would cause the whole gun to shift before it would even reach full pull. A great gun, but S&W should've researched the grips a little better, in my opinion.

Anyway, the grips can come off in a matter of seconds and the originals can be slapped right back on. The only mod was me drilling two holes in the new wood grips I've put on and nothing to the gun itself. I do plan to shoot it and, if I'm gonna do that, I want complete control of the gun... having it slip up and down when not held in a 2 hand grip doesn't work for me. The feel is awesome now, much better than the looks... and that's what it's all about, really.

I wonder is Ruger Security Six Pachmayr grips would fit nicely on it too... I'll have to check. It's all about comfort and not the looks. If I ever put it up on display or something, rest assured that the originals will go back on.
 
I still think they're fugly as uck...but I know where yer comin from on the factory girl grips...that's why I "fattened" the bone ones I made for mine...palm side specifically for that reason.

and hey it's yer iron-chrome don't get you home ;)


blast away :D
 
Hmm... come to think of it, a stain job will probably be in the works at some point in time (dark brown). The important thing for now is that the gun is 100% controllable versus what it was before.

They're probably ok to shoot with factory grips for most people, but I just couldn't get a good grip on the gun and I've tried every which way I could. Resting my pinky solid under the grip to maintain control of the gun during cocking and firing doesn't do it. But now it's an entirely different story. I simply love this new toy, lol! 130 years old and still working/looking mean!

:D
 
Back
Top Bottom