New inline muzzle loader decisions

Barnard308

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
Hey Guys
Brand new to muzzle loading but seriously thinking of getting a CVA Wolf from a local dealer here, they say they are the best bang for the buck $299.00 no scope or mounts. What do you guys think of this rifle for a new guy getting into this type of shooting? It will be mainly for hunting deer and bear maximum distance would be 200 yards closest around 50 yards. Looking online at the new Powerbelt ammo for these rifles seems to be a good all round choice for this type of hunting, do you guys have a preference to ammo as well? A buddy of mine uses the Hornady FPB brand ammo but I have never seen an animal he has taken with it so I dont know how it preforms either. What would you recommend for a scope? I have a line on a new Bushnell XTR Muzzle Loader scope with a one piece base for $75.00 never used. Thanks for your help.
 
Those are great rifles, lots of people have them and everyone I've talked to loves theirs. I prefer a red dot on them because the hammer is high and requires extra tall rings for scope mounting. FPBs shoot amazing in my savage, I use Hornady sst in my wolf...3" groups at 100yds with a red dot.
 
Thanks for the input Freezer, going to pick it up tomorrow and Range on Saturday. Would these be pretty accurate out to 200 meters with three triple 7 pellets do you think?
 
the best inline that i owned was a khanke in 54 cal and a old Knight MK85 they shot 777 loose powder in 3fg the best and easy to load with a big conical from Precision Rifle.
most people just use the pellets and drop a bullet/sabot combo, but they are not seeing the full potential of fine tuning the load. longest kill shot with ml was 307yds 95gr 3fg 777 with a keith nose HP from PR in the 50cal Knight. I love spending time shooting muzzleloader, your able to do load development at the range... not at home on the reloading press.
 
Well the GF SURPRISED me with the CVA Wolf I was looking at last night!!!! So I will be headed out to the range Saturday with some triple 7 pellets and platinum power belts. Once I get use to it I may try some loose powder charges and see how that goes.
 
i have one but didn't like the sights at all so i just mounted a scope but haven't shot it with the scope yet
mine uses shotgun primers i have fired around 100 rounds and have never had a misfire but find the powerbelt bullets really tight
i have to hit them with a rubber mallet to get them down the barrel
you will probably find it more accurate using 2 pellets rather than 3
 
Well the GF SURPRISED me with the CVA Wolf I was looking at last night!!!! So I will be headed out to the range Saturday with some triple 7 pellets and platinum power belts. Once I get use to it I may try some loose powder charges and see how that goes.

Congrats on the new gun. IMO there are lots better bullets than Powerbelts I have personally seen my nephew put 4 into the shoulder of a wounded deer from 20-40 yds and not a one penetrated the shoulder blade that is a .54 and can you say gas leakage, brother had a deer at 25yds and blew one up on a corn stalk between him and the deer, that was a Platinum out of a Wolf, My TC Encore they load great until you tip the gun down and they fall out on the ground. All brought to the attention of the makers of Power belt without a response. Needless to say I have seen probably 20-30 people over the years try these bullets but not a single one still does.

TC has a great bullet, which I believe are SST with different tips or I really prefer Precision Rifle, pure lead bullets out of Manitoba. Just my opinion but an old boy who was instrumental at getting the muzzleloader only hunt in SW Ontario told me many years ago "a muzzleloader was made to shoot lead bullets" I have tried them all and what am I back to 195 grn lead bullet
 
Back
Top Bottom