new made martini's

antiqueguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Location
windsor ontario
would there be a market for new made martinis I was thinking sporting rifles they could be chambered in just about any rimmed round that's short enough I was also think maybe a full military model with a more common .458" bore and maybe for the guys in the UK a smooth bore version
 
Been at least two outfits in the states that tried it and failed to get enough traction to make a go.

Moral of the story, I doubt very much that you can pull it off and make enough at it to keep yourself from starving while you do it.

Most of the guys that are doing the custom guns based upon the Martini actions, are quite capable enough of making them from scratch, but don't and won't.

Cheers
Trev
 
I read something about a Providence something something outfit that is building Peabody rifles again.

That might be as close as you can get.

I'd love a modern Martini in a .30 cal of some sort
 
I read something about a Providence something something outfit that is building Peabody rifles again.

That might be as close as you can get.

I'd love a modern Martini in a .30 cal of some sort

that could be done since I would be using modern materials cartridges like .30-30 .303 british 7.62x54r rimless cartridges could be done as well but the extractors are kind of funky for that
 
Last new ones I saw were being sold by Navy Arms. I think they were from the assets of WW Greener, which NA acquired.
Any of the companies making rolling blocks or high walls could certainly make Martinis. But they would need to be confident about the market.
 
Been at least two outfits in the states that tried it and failed to get enough traction to make a go.

Moral of the story, I doubt very much that you can pull it off and make enough at it to keep yourself from starving while you do it.

Most of the guys that are doing the custom guns based upon the Martini actions, are quite capable enough of making them from scratch, but don't and won't.

Cheers
Trev

its easy you make enough of them and sell them under what the originals go for and in caliber the originals did not come in. as for equipment it does not need to be new and there's plenty of used CNC equipment in this city. plus the martini is not the only design id like to produce but it is the only one that does not need to be verified
 
its easy you make enough of them and sell them under what the originals go for and in caliber the originals did not come in. as for equipment it does not need to be new and there's plenty of used CNC equipment in this city. plus the martini is not the only design id like to produce but it is the only one that does not need to be verified

Go for it.
 
need a mid sized Martini, just a little bigger then the Cadet Martini but big enough to handle 303 sized chamberings.

Or just crank out the smaller Cadet Martini actions, I think there is a lot more potential with the smaller actions.
 
need a mid sized Martini, just a little bigger then the Cadet Martini but big enough to handle 303 sized chamberings.

Or just crank out the smaller Cadet Martini actions, I think there is a lot more potential with the smaller actions.

then there would be no shoulder breaker cartridges id have to get my hands on a cadet though I agree that its one that should be reproduced as well
 
I think that the chances for market success are blocked by the SASS rules that only permit external hammer designs to be used in their competitions. And to further nail down the coffin lid the BPCR match rules, which would be another prime market, also restrict the rifles used to American designs with external hammers.

So that leaves a rather limited market with a poor sales potential.

For hunting there's already the Ruger Farquharson design single shot rifles. And even here it seems from the way Ruger makes and sells them that there's a limited user group.

Finally there's the issue of there being a pretty good selection of sub $1000 rifles that can be purchased and re-barreled if the user wishes. We know that the action itself is darn near bomb proof so one just needs to shop for a "bargain basement Martini with a poor barrel that won't give collectors apoplexy when the action is turned into an updated shooting rifle.
 
I get the market is kind of flooded but people generally don't want to take away the military history even in bad shape right now im looking for a action i can use to develop a cartridge not that easy i may end up looking for a bottom off the barrel mk4.
 
getting back to martini actions and the range of cartridges they can be chambered in. One drawback of the martini is that the shell goes into the chamber at an angle and that somewhat limits the length / shape of what you can chamber. I think the reason for the long neck and large base of the 450-577 is to permit it to be loaded. If the case was straight sided for its entire length, there is a good chance it could not be loaded because in the early stages of inserting the cartridge, it would jam because of the angle it is on. Also guns like rolling blocks and Sharps rifles allow the cartridge to go straight in and you are not limited in length. They also allow you to run a cleaning rod from the breach forward which I think is desireable

cheers mooncoon
 
getting back to martini actions and the range of cartridges they can be chambered in. One drawback of the martini is that the shell goes into the chamber at an angle and that somewhat limits the length / shape of what you can chamber. I think the reason for the long neck and large base of the 450-577 is to permit it to be loaded. If the case was straight sided for its entire length, there is a good chance it could not be loaded because in the early stages of inserting the cartridge, it would jam because of the angle it is on. Also guns like rolling blocks and Sharps rifles allow the cartridge to go straight in and you are not limited in length. They also allow you to run a cleaning rod from the breach forward which I think is desireable

cheers mooncoon

a standard martini action will take a .577 2 3/4" BPE no problem but that about max on cartridge length
 
That's true - but .577 2 3/4" BPE ammunition is not exactly lining the shelves at Crappy Tire, is it? I'd stick with the premise we talked about in our PMs.

tac

that's a UK market thing once actions are built they could be put into any cartridge that would make the turn here id think .45-70 would be more commonly bought then the .410's here I should give a idea what cartridges would be the main chambering's.
 
For those who might be interested in antiqueguy's comment about smooth-bores in the UK, it's a matter of who can have them and who can't.

Basically, if you are over 18, of sound mind and health and have no criminal convictions of six months or over jail-time, then you can APPLY for a shotgun certificate with a good chance of success - given that you have good reason to possess it, like sporting activities. Using one as a game-getter would certainly give the birds more of a fighting chance, that's for sure, but somehow I can't see anybody except re-enactors being interested in a smoothbore Martini. Right now they have to have a proper Section 1 firearms certificate if they intend to discharge any Martini that has a rifled barrel, even if it's only with blanks, but a smoothbore could be held AND fired with a basic shotgun licence, in exactly the same way as members of the Sealed Knot - the English Civil War re-enactment society - have their matchlocks as shotguns.

I'll ask around on a couple of fora here in UK, and post the results- if any.

tac
 
Before you get too excited, antiqueguy, let me just quote three little letters - C. I. P.

UK is a signaturee, and so is most of the rest of Europe. I earnestly suggest that you do some reading.

Best

tac
 
Before you get too excited, antiqueguy, let me just quote three little letters - C. I. P.

UK is a signaturee, and so is most of the rest of Europe. I earnestly suggest that you do some reading.

Best

tac

I know about C.I.P and the proof testing that would be needed im confident in the martini action especially in modern materials would pass
 
Back
Top Bottom