New Majority Goverment

I hate to sound pessimistic, but seeing the CPC push the long-gun registry repeal when they knew it would fail last fall didn't exactly prove to me that they are serious about repealing it. Now they have a chance to prove it. If they can't or won't do that, they certainly won't relax/correct aspects of the Firearms Act.

I'm sure individual MPs have their hearts in the right place, but it remains to be seen whether or not the higher-ups will make firearms law reform a priority or even stop the back-door RCMP seizures of black rifles. Mooncoon has the right idea...
 
Last edited:
I hate to sound pessimistic, but seeing the CPC push the long-gun registry repeal when they knew it would fail last fall didn't exactly prove to me that they are serious about repealing it. .

I think it is more a case of politicians living in a dream world. They don't seem to be that much in touch with reality. I think the Conservatives probably canvassed the opposition and thought that enough members would support the legislation that it would pass and further did not think the vote would be whipped on the third reading. The opposition did not have to whip the vote before the third reading and that way some rural members could come out as supporting their constituents.

I remember speaking to Breitkreuz before one of the previous elections and asked what was his plan B if they did not get a majority. He seemed genuinely surprised that anyone would think that they might not get a majority. To me that is being out of touch with reality.

Having said that, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that Garry is totally committed to ending the long gun registry and has fought long and hard to our benefit.

I think for the most part all of the politicians regardless of party live in a sort of dream world that revolves around their parties philosophy rather than a dispassionate assessment of their constituents

cheers mooncoon
 
The things they should change in the antiques section are the following:

- Set cut off date to 1899.
- Remove the "no magazine" restriction for long guns (so we aren't limited to single shots only, which is just plain stupid).
- Remove ALL cartridge restrictions, including rechambering restrictions (since antiques can't handle much pressure anyway).
- Set the status of all cap & ball black powder firearms to "antique", including reproductions.


:cool:

I would add that all flint locks and replicas be included. short and long barreled
 
I would add that all flint locks and replicas be included. short and long barreled

the long ones already are...

1. The firearms listed in the schedule are antique firearms for the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition “antique firearm” in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

COMING INTO FORCE

2. These Regulations come into force on December 1, 1998.

SOR/98-472, s. 3.

SCHEDULE

(Section 1)

BLACK POWDER REPRODUCTIONS

1. A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897.

a shorty flinter would be sweet tho...
 
Back
Top Bottom