New Muzzleloader with a question

Reinyrooster

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am about to get into my first muzzleloader season with my new CVA and have a question. I was only able to prcatice out to 100yds. Very comfortable at 100 but obviously would like to be able too reach out further. I am wondering if the inforamtion exits somewhere that will tell me how much drop I need to compensate for using X amount of powder and X bullet weight at specific distances.
Thanks for the info.
Excited ML shooter
 
In fact, I have found that the effective range is 100 yards, give or take a few. Out past 150 things get really dicy. Velocity drops off and for sure the amount of drop becomes hard to handle. Past 200 or so if you misjudge the range by 25 yards that is enough to shoot competely under or over your deer. 100 or less. Hunt more shoot less. More fun when you don't have to trail poorly hit animals.
 
I bought the Nikon Omega w/BDC reticle, 150gr volume charge (3 T7 pellets) and a 250gr Hornady SST (TC Shockwave). This is the load data that works for the BDC reticle and it works. I zeroed to 100yds and held to appropriate reticle at the various ranges and its in there. My furthest shot to date is 137yds. All others have beed under 100yds, I've only used the sst bullet and will be switching to the Barnes TMZ when my stock of SST's dry up.
Good luck
 
Paper. Shoot lots and lots and lots of paper. Find the load that your rifle reliably and predictably prints, then stretch it out from there (noting the required clicks / holdover). That and a laser range finder. Graphs / charts / ballistic calculators are also good tool, but if your rifle hates magnum loads and SST's, and patterns like a shotgun with them, they are of no value to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom