New Respect for Pedersoli

Weapontech

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
After months of sitting in the rack, I finally got my Pedersoli 41 3/4" barrelled Bess out to the range today. I was floored with these results; without even messing around with different patch/ball or powder combinations. Off the bench, offhand, at 25, 50 or 100 yds.....the results were all similar (except of course, when I started to flinch after my shoulder started to get sore!!)

70gns of FFg, Ball is .715dia & weighs in at about 552gns. Patched with Ox-yoke .025 pre-lubed patches, and wow.....does it shoot!

Pederbess.jpg
 
Why? They all looked the same. :rolleyes: :D
The target pictured was offhand at 50yds. Although the 100 yard target (benched) was almost as good with one loan
flyer about 2" out.

Wow thats quite the shooting, off-hand with a smooth bore, no rear sights and a group like that. You should switch to a rifled ML with sights. You could probably be competitive at an international level.
 
Wow thats quite the shooting, off-hand with a smooth bore, no rear sights and a group like that. You should switch to a rifled ML with sights. You could probably be competitive at an international level.
Meh, I've had a little practice........;)

Edit: To put it in perspective - This was the best target of the offhand lot, and is not typical of how I shoot.
Like I said, it was a good day.....and a bit lucky.
 
I agree 100 % with you!

Whenever someone talks about the "inherent" inaccuracy of smooth bore muskets I cannot help but smile to myself!

Its all about the shooter!

Well done.

I only wish they built a nice early pattern baker....
 
Well buds, lets chat. I'm working on marrying-up a rifled Track Baker barrel, and a Loyalist smoothy Baker repro. Lets hope it won't end in divorce, but so far they don't seem to need a pre-nup!

I think its a GREAT idea!!

If all goes together well you can swap barrels depending on your needs "unless you have to shim up the barrel channel"

Biggest issues "I think" will be the barrel fit and mating up proper touch hole/breech placement.
 
I agree 100 % with you!

Whenever someone talks about the "inherent" inaccuracy of smooth bore muskets I cannot help but smile to myself!

Its all about the shooter!

Well done.

I only wish they built a nice early pattern baker....

I think the main reason that smoothbore muskets had such a poor reputation for accuracy was because they used a loose-fitting, unpatched ball to make for easier, faster loading.
 
Last edited:
I think the main reason that smoothbore muskets had such a poor reputation for accuracy was because they used a loose-fitting, unpatched ball to make for easier, faster loading.

I dont know....My standard load with my 75 cal bess is a 69 cal ball in a paper cartridge which I believe is the standard military load at the time- I do alright with that.

Most of the line troopers at the time would -maybe- only fire their muskets 1 or 2 times a year outside of battle- training consisted of marching drill and formation movement under orders.

Seems like madness to me today, but I suppose marksmanship was not required of the average lobsterback - they had specialized troops for that work:redface:

NOW...... SECTION -A- SHOULDER YOUR FIRELOCKS!!!!! AT THE STEP FOWARD MARCH ---RIGHT-- WHEEL--- FOWARD MARCH......HALT.....ORDER ARMS....PRIME AND LOAD.....FRONT RANK----- MAKE READY.....PRESENT.....FIRE!!!!

Over and over again until one side was wiped out or retreated-millions of soldiers in the 18th century met there makers on the open field in line.

Touched by the charms of our lady brown bess.
 
Back
Top Bottom