New shooter

Lumpy59

Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
West Coast B.C.
Hi. I'm looking to get into BP shooting, prefer a flintlock long rifle, target/range only, I don't hunt. There seems to be very little to choose from in Canada that appear to be worth the effort from what I've read in reviews.
I don't have access to the equipment exchange forum yet so I've been scouring the net looking and reading.

What I would really like to get into would be something like what Cabela's USA offers...the Pedersoli "Blue Ridge" 54 cal flintlock. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle in flint is also very appealing.
The questions I'm asking are a) can I just zip across the line into a US Cabelas, buy the thing and bring it back paying duty, taxes etc or no? It's a BP rifle down there so they don't consider it a firearm, and as far as I know Canada doesn't need a license to own one.
Are there import/export pitfalls re Homeland Security or RCMP secret squirrel requirements, and will the Customs/Border people on our side know how to handle it? I live on the Wet Coast of Canada, B.C.
Also, what kind of percentages on the purchase price do the CBSA people assess ,ie duties, taxes, etc?
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just would like a nice rifle to work with.
 
For a new shooter to muzzleloading I would recommend percussion over flintlock but if your looking for a nice flint rifle then the Pedersoli Mortimer is one to consider and Shooters choice has a nice used one in stock.Marstar Canada also sells Pedersoli muzzle loaders
 
I would recommend th Great Plains due to owning a flint version. Flint locks can come across the border. Both sides deem them not
a firearm. Cap lock in U.S. Not a firearm. In Canada deemed a firearm. Unless made in 1898 or before and deemed an antique. There are more flints around if you want a cheaper one. CVA, Traditions in 45 and 50. Cabela's sells them also. Lyman sells 2 models. Other companies also. Try the gun shows.
 
Are you on the Island? There is a rendezvous in Nanaimo on the Canada Day weekend. There people there that can answer any question that you have and a lot of BP firearms to check out.
 
Back
Top Bottom