- Location
- Smithers, B.C.
Hello,
I am planning on getting into reproduction and/or original carbine length muskets come spring. I have in mind a "Heavy Dragoon Carbine" from Loyalist Arms, or buying a Enfield Pattern 1858 Cavalry Carbine. One is in .76 the other .557
I have been a centerfire rifle shooter for many years, but have never dealt with Black powder, so I was hoping you experienced gents could help me out a bit with some headscratchers:
-What kinds of equipment do I need to load and shoot for these muskets/carbines?
-Which caliber is easiest to acquire/load for?
-Can you go out and buy the bullets/projectiles, or do you have to melt lead and make your own? If you can buy them, where from (I live in Alberta)
-What kind or grade of powder do you want to shoot these old muskets with? How do you know how much powder to use per shot, safely?
Is there a nice, big, single book I can pick up perhaps that can teach me all the basics?
Thanks gents, really interested in getting into this hobby of BP musketry!
Sincerely,
Drach
I am planning on getting into reproduction and/or original carbine length muskets come spring. I have in mind a "Heavy Dragoon Carbine" from Loyalist Arms, or buying a Enfield Pattern 1858 Cavalry Carbine. One is in .76 the other .557
I have been a centerfire rifle shooter for many years, but have never dealt with Black powder, so I was hoping you experienced gents could help me out a bit with some headscratchers:
-What kinds of equipment do I need to load and shoot for these muskets/carbines?
-Which caliber is easiest to acquire/load for?
-Can you go out and buy the bullets/projectiles, or do you have to melt lead and make your own? If you can buy them, where from (I live in Alberta)
-What kind or grade of powder do you want to shoot these old muskets with? How do you know how much powder to use per shot, safely?
Is there a nice, big, single book I can pick up perhaps that can teach me all the basics?
Thanks gents, really interested in getting into this hobby of BP musketry!
Sincerely,
Drach


















































