Hi,
I posted the thread about helping me fix my Pietta Colt Navy a week or so ago. I got the new hand and after a few hours with a file and some emery cloth, I got it working well. Locks up tight and is tuned up pretty good. Just waiting for the new wedge and I'm almost ready to shoot. I also polished the brass and fixed up all the screw heads and reblued them so it looks pretty spiffy.
Got a few specific questions and am also searching for some online sources to read and educate myself. I'd appreciate hearing about any good resources you may know of.
So I got it with a powder dipper that buddy says is a light target load. I want to verify that. How many grains is a good load for a 1851 Navy...keep in mind it is .44 cal?
I got some powder with it, but where can I get more black powder (online or in NS) and a way to measure it quickly and accurately?
He was using cornmeal as wadding? Smart idea? Better alternatives?
He also sealed each chamber with crisco lard...acceptible?
Many thanks,
Adrian
I posted the thread about helping me fix my Pietta Colt Navy a week or so ago. I got the new hand and after a few hours with a file and some emery cloth, I got it working well. Locks up tight and is tuned up pretty good. Just waiting for the new wedge and I'm almost ready to shoot. I also polished the brass and fixed up all the screw heads and reblued them so it looks pretty spiffy.
Got a few specific questions and am also searching for some online sources to read and educate myself. I'd appreciate hearing about any good resources you may know of.
So I got it with a powder dipper that buddy says is a light target load. I want to verify that. How many grains is a good load for a 1851 Navy...keep in mind it is .44 cal?
I got some powder with it, but where can I get more black powder (online or in NS) and a way to measure it quickly and accurately?
He was using cornmeal as wadding? Smart idea? Better alternatives?
He also sealed each chamber with crisco lard...acceptible?
Many thanks,
Adrian


















































