New to Black Powder

muckwa

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
Meadow Lake, Sk
Hi there looking at purchasing a used Triumph Thompson. The guy says you have to clean it after 2 shots or he can't get a third out of it. He is new aswell at it, is this typical for blackpowder rifles to only get a couple shots out of them or is something wrong with the gun????? He wants 300-350 for it. Is that a fair price only been fired about 20 times and looks like new. Thanks for the help people...:wave:
 
With dirty powders yes its normal. Some guns can take more shots between cleaning others can't as for the price I'm not to sure. I have a hawkens 2 cva and 1 tradition
 
I believe he's talking about the breech plug. I have heard that it does need to be cleaned after two, or else will freeze inside. Easy too remove and clean the threads of it. The barrel itself shouldn't need cleaning after 2 shots, especially with Triple 7.
 
Try a mix of 50% ballistol and 50% water on your patches with the ball. They should be wet damp, but not too much. I use 70 grains of FFG, a 10 thousand patch, a .530 ball and can shoot about 30 rounds without a problem in a Pedersoli Hawken..
 
Make sure you lube the plug. I use Bore Butter or white lithium grease in my T/C omega. Then it won't freeze. You should be able to get at least 10 rounds between cleanings even using black powder.

With an inline you may want to stay with substitutes such as 777 or one of the other RS powders. Much cleaner.

If you were in my neck of the woods I would invite you out to shoot with our club.
 
thanks for all the great advice I told him i would let him know if it was normal or not and then let him decide what he would want for the piece, so i will buy the gun and start the learning process. thanks again all
 
Back
Top Bottom