New to Black Powder

bmcdermid

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hi i am new to black powder shooting and was wonder where you could purchase a black powder kit gun Pistol or rifle is good. I am really interested in making one.
 
The occassional gun shop will have them. Not sure if Loyalist carries kits or not.

The good bit though is that you can order kits and most finished muzzleloaders (must be long guns) from the US without a hitch or even any paperwork.
Look at Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun works to start. Lymans used to come as kits not sure if they still do.
 
Wholesale still has the Lyman GP kit - rifle and pistol.

I built my GP .54 over 20 years ago and while I don't bang it around, it has done it's service well - and with no signs of slowing down.

I don't know if they've changed the kits, but mine came with cast parts I had to file down, shape and polish; and the stock was inletted for the lock & barrel & furniture but was otherwise in the rough. I liked it that way - let me put my own spin on it.

Good luck
 
Here I found the links for ya:

WSS GP rifle:
h ttp://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/black-powder/firearms/great-plains-kits-unfinished/prod182255.html

Pistol:
h ttp://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/black-powder/firearms/plains-pistol/prod192240.html


NOW none of that is to criticize the good folks at Dixie or Track - excellent companies. And both sell kits painlessly across the border (long guns, as noted above). And I love browsing Track's parts list, I am building a .36 for my daughter over the winter with their parts...BUT I'd suggest building one or two from a kit first because, if nothing else, it'll save you a lot of back & forth getting parts and such you didn't know you needed.

TOTW (and Dixie) also have GREAT books and tools to assist you...something WSS does not seem to have (well maybe they do I just can't find them)

Good luck - and have fun
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom