- Location
- Smithers, B.C.
Hello,
I have longed to obtain a short carbine (approx. 42" OAL or less, like a dragoon carbine or artillery carbine perhaps?) Either a cheap original (HA! FAT chance) or a reasonable reproduction.
I love milsurps in general but long for the old ways of muzzle loaded musketry, however I am a short guy and really prefer the handiness of a carbine length arm.
I have done some searching and research, but would still like to ask my questions here, as you gentlemen are very well read into your art of black powder!
Firstly, what kinds of carbines are availiable? I do not mind flintlock, or percussion, but it has to be wood + metal in a military style and muzzloading. I had the British Light Dragoon carbine from the early 1760's recommended to me as a place to start, but could not find a repro anywhere.
Secondly, is it normal to need to make all your own shooting supplies or can you buy balls of proper diameter, powder, flints/caps etc from a store here in Alberta? (I'm around Calgary if that helps)
Thirdly, what manufacturers make well known and reliable reproductions of those said military carbines? I have heard only of Pedersoli, and their prices are up there from what I can see.
Fourthly, what are some common calibres of ball? I am looking mostly at British designs but anything the world over is fine. I shot an old Brown Bess musket at the range once in .71 (or was it .75?) and I fell in love, but not with the length and weight!
Any info would be great gents!
Thanks,
Drach
P.S. I am particularly interested in Austrian/Prussian designs, as I can trace my family's military background back 400 years, so I have a strong collecting interest in that direction.
I have longed to obtain a short carbine (approx. 42" OAL or less, like a dragoon carbine or artillery carbine perhaps?) Either a cheap original (HA! FAT chance) or a reasonable reproduction.
I love milsurps in general but long for the old ways of muzzle loaded musketry, however I am a short guy and really prefer the handiness of a carbine length arm.
I have done some searching and research, but would still like to ask my questions here, as you gentlemen are very well read into your art of black powder!
Firstly, what kinds of carbines are availiable? I do not mind flintlock, or percussion, but it has to be wood + metal in a military style and muzzloading. I had the British Light Dragoon carbine from the early 1760's recommended to me as a place to start, but could not find a repro anywhere.
Secondly, is it normal to need to make all your own shooting supplies or can you buy balls of proper diameter, powder, flints/caps etc from a store here in Alberta? (I'm around Calgary if that helps)
Thirdly, what manufacturers make well known and reliable reproductions of those said military carbines? I have heard only of Pedersoli, and their prices are up there from what I can see.
Fourthly, what are some common calibres of ball? I am looking mostly at British designs but anything the world over is fine. I shot an old Brown Bess musket at the range once in .71 (or was it .75?) and I fell in love, but not with the length and weight!
Any info would be great gents!
Thanks,
Drach
P.S. I am particularly interested in Austrian/Prussian designs, as I can trace my family's military background back 400 years, so I have a strong collecting interest in that direction.



















































