New (to me) Webley No.4 antique

So Dingus, wrt the Dominion and Fiocci - are you thinking it's unsafely hot for the No.4, or more that it's not a good load to subject the gun to over time?

Im my humble opinion I think the Fiocchi will be fine in your no4.

I have shot a fair amount of it and although I have not yet chronographed it, the load feels exactly like my personal reloads that I have clocked out at 620-630 ft/sec. Doing a little google fu this seems to be consistent with reported measured speeds with factory loaded fiocchi. Exclusive of concerns with restrictive forcing cones(this should not be an issue on our no. 4) this is in spec with the original Webley factory loads.

On a little off topic side note, I butchered a couple of hogs yesterday and used the fiocchi 455 round to do the dirty deed. It generally did ok(although next time I will use one my hotter keith style rounds instead). One of the hogs moved unexpectedly and inadvertently had a round travelled 6-7 inches through fat and neck muscle and stop at the undamaged spine. The hog hardly flinched. Upon butchering other than a pinkie sized would channel there was vitually no visible meat damage.

As you can see from the retreived round there was virtually no deformation.

Generally, I have to admit the Fiocchi round was unimpressive(at least as hog dispatching round). The fiocchi bullet acted very much like a FMJ projectile and did not seem to have enough omph to cause any tissue or bullet deformation.

fio.jpg
 
Last edited:
ok, so I am going to make up some lower power loads to try in it.

I'm thinking W231 since I have a bunch of it. I also have a whole bunch of Dominion HBRN 165gr projectiles and Mk1 brass.

Anyone suggest a good load? I've read everything from 3.6gn to 6.2gn for this powder - though I imagine 6.2 would be too hot for this revolver. I'm also worried 3.6 might be way too anaemic.

Anyone have any advice?
 
if all your brass is loaded why not pull it and load it with a lighter load

id not shoot any Dominion as its hot but its also old and canadian made its collectable atleast to me anyway

yea id just pull ti and load a lighter charge
 
Back
Top Bottom