New to muzzle loading and a couple questions

Rogue_wave

Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi to all

I am going to take the plunge, to extend my deer season. I have been doing some research and still have a couple of questions. Firstly I will be purchasing a new style in line muzzle loader rather a traditional black powder, at least for my first one. I have noticed that there are several makes now that offer a quick release breech plug. does anyone have any thoughts or pros verses coms on them? I have looked at all the makers and kind of decided on the TC line, again any pros or cons? The three models are the impact, triumph or the omega, which I have since found out that may be discontinued? Once any again thank for any and all input.

cheers

R/W
 
I have limited experience with inline muzzle loaders, so that being said I can't comment on the pros and cons of a quick release breech plug.

But last month I had the chance to shoot 2 TC muzzle loaders when 2 buddies came over to sight in their rifles for deer season. IIRC they were the triumph and omega models. I must say that I was VERY impressed with the accuracy with both models. We were shooting @ 100 yards off a bench and both rifles were capable of bullseye shots on the first round if I did my part.

They were a little slow to load but honestly I can't see that being an issue cause you'd only need one shot.
 
I just got back into muzzleloading when I moved to my current location which only has muzzleloader and archery seasons. I had some extra cash last fall so I sprung for a TC Prohunter FX, it is a dream to shoot and load, but is should be for $650.

This past spring I also picked up a Traditions Pursuit LT off the EE here on CGN for $150 knowing it was having a mechanical issue (light primer strikes). Once I took it a part and reassembled it properly (someone didn't reconnect a rather important linkage), it shoots just as well as my TC. The TC is better balanced, but other than that they both work fine. My point is that you don't have to spend big bucks for a good inline ML. My TC will always be my go to ML, but the traditions will work just fine as a backup/loaner.

The TC has a speed plug, the Traditions does not, both are easy to clean at home. I can undo the TC plug by hand with 3-4 turns, the Traditions needs a tool and takes a few more spins to get it out. Do yourself a favour and spring for Blackhorn 209 powder, it is much cleaner than any of the other substitutes, after shooting all day I can still unscrew my TC speed plug by hand, w Triple 7 I needed a tool and you need to clean between shots for a consistent load. With Blackhorn you can also leave the gun dirty for a few days with no rust (my TC sat dirty for 4 days after this past deer hunt), you can't with the other substitutes, blackhorn requires just a few patches and solvent to clean, no hot water and multiple patches.

Thats about the extent of my ML knowledge. In my hunting group there are 4 Traditions Pursuits, 2 TC Prohunters, 1 TC Impact. I was looking at the TC Impact as an alternate to my prohunter and I think I would have been happy with it but it didn't feel balanced when I handled one at the gunshop, it was front heavy just like my Traditions.
 
Last edited:
I'd heard in-lines might be dumped into the modern rifle category, as they don't follow the 'spirit' of the bow/muzzeloading season. (ahh - the rumour mill)

Ought to look into that.
 
You cannot go wrong with a TC, I have the impact and its a great rifle for the price, as for quick release plugs all I can say is WHY ??? I have no idea why it would benefit you to take it out faster than unscrewing a few threads. Now once you pick your rifle you need to pick a powder.
 
You cannot go wrong with a TC, I have the impact and its a great rifle for the price, as for quick release plugs all I can say is WHY ??? I have no idea why it would benefit you to take it out faster than unscrewing a few threads. Now once you pick your rifle you need to pick a powder.


can't go wrong with BH 209 for powder. especially in the tighter bores of the T/C's.
 
Back
Top Bottom