Newbie Muzzle Loader Question

Good comment about dry balling BC.
Now for our new friend here is what to do when you load a ball and no powder, or as we say DRY BALL. Yep you will do it sooner or later. The easy fix is take the nipple off the gun, and work some powder in behind the ball, replace nipple and cap, point in safe direction and shoot it out. If it doesn't go all the way out , {Check with Ramrod} drive it back down and repeat with the powder behind the nipple. It will come out and with a lot more speed than you would think.

Better yet, and just in case....get one of THESE - http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9299

Co2 ball expeller.

I've had one in my shooting gear for years, and used it twice on other folk's rifles with total success. So far I have avoided the necessity, but you know what they say about dry-balling, and those for whom it is familiar - A few admit to it, the others are liars.

tac
 
I once had the misfortune of doing this TWICE in an hour, witnessed by a small crowd of spectators. However, being non-BP folks they were quite ignorant of what was going on, so I was able to salvage a bit of my reputation by convincing them that I was really just 'cleaning' my rifle!
 
^ I've had the misfortune of a similar experience, however I believe all the cursing and swearing (which escalated on the second occurrence) gave away to the laity that I had F'ed something up. :)
.
.
.
Thanks for the info on the Maxi ball Papa, I'll keep my eyes out at gun shows for the Lee Mould.
 
Yes....BC Rider pretty much covers it. .....I have a Lyman plains rifle as well in 50cal and when I tried firing it with 2 pyrodex pellets I had a flash ! (no fire) the first try and a delayed (hang fire) the second time. This is because the primers (caps) are not aggressive enough to ignite the pellets . I ONLY shoot powder after this experience. I also have a Wolf CVA inline in 50cal as well and when I tried to fire my modern sabots in the plains rifle instead of the ball, I found it very hard to push down the barrel ? Was not comfortable with the struggle to get it down and seated. Fired it once only with the sabot ! So in short I would recommend you stick to powder and balls.
 
Back
Top Bottom