Newbie needs help identifying a gun

goforbroke32

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Manitoba
Hello all. I have been left an old riffle from my grandfather. I know nothing about it nor does anyone in my family. I would like to find out some info so I can sell it. I have no use for it and I also got a side by side 12ga from him as well that I will keep. Any help would be great. It says on the one side this

BSA & MC2
1875
Also has a crown symbol on it.
Here are the crappy pictures.
http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/kevinrdyck32/?action=view&current=C1E69A53-C0CA-44F3-9AF0-504D53D214E4-630-000001781278AD65_zpsa7c067af.jpg

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/kevinrdyck32/?action=view&current=63059037-763E-4C3E-BFD4-E6E7B78CB067-630-0000017821AC3D27_zps770fc89c.jpg

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/kevinrdyck32/?action=view&current=B9F1E1D6-3957-4DD8-8559-15271C1B72A6-630-000001782AB6AB77_zpsa765d813.jpg
 
Snider rifle, looks real nice. You should keep it and shoot it, they are alot of fun.

Others will come along to let you know more in depth stuff about the gun.
 
You'l have to reload for it, but dies and bullet moulds are fairly cheap. Its a blackpowder gun so you'l be limited to that, or pyrodex or maybe some substitutes.
 
C1E69A53-C0CA-44F3-9AF0-504D53D214E4-630-000001781278AD65_zpsa7c067af.jpg

EF3F8CCE-C854-4590-B9CC-5BE9BA460386-630-0000017700E8F8AE_zps2bc31b57.jpg

B9F1E1D6-3957-4DD8-8559-15271C1B72A6-630-000001782AB6AB77_zpsa765d813.jpg

Here are couple of your pics. You just have to left click on the "img code" and it copies, and then right click and "paste" into your post....
 
This is a beautiful example of the Snider rifle in extraordinary condtion - if it was over here in UK you would be looking at a minimum of $1500 up to $2000 for it.

tac

EDIT. sigh, now I look it's been stripped...........
 
Last edited:
Somebody has sanded/stripped all of the character from the stock. :( They are not as rare on this side of the pond tacfoley.
OP, have a look on CGN's Equipment Exchange (Black Powder) WTS (want to sell) and look for 2 and 3 band Enfield Sniders, this will give you an idea of what guys are "ASKING". Condition and functionality is everything in this game.
 
Somebody has sanded/stripped all of the character from the stock. :( They are not as rare on this side of the pond tacfoley.
OP, have a look on CGN's Equipment Exchange (Black Powder) WTS (want to sell) and look for 2 and 3 band Enfield Sniders, this will give you an idea of what guys are "ASKING". Condition and functionality is everything in this game.

Yah, now I've adjusted the screen on the new PC I see that. Still, it's a nice gun that would benefit from some TLC in the form of BLO, and lots of it.

They are not rare here, either, just expensive.

tac

PS - 'tac' is enough - the rest is my surname. :cool:
 
Scroll down to the Equipment Exchange...at the top is a banner that says:Click here to apply for access to Equipment Exchange ...click on that and take it from there.
 
Yah, now I've adjusted the screen on the new PC I see that. Still, it's a nice gun that would benefit from some TLC in the form of BLO, and lots of it.

They are not rare here, either, just expensive.

tac

PS - 'tac' is enough - the rest is my surname. :cool:


10-4 tac. :D...OP; Tac is quite correct about the oil. head to Canadian Tire and buy a litre of raw linseed oil (period correct, I think!?) and hand rub it into the stock. Keep the oil off the metal because after it "sets up" its a bit of a bugger to get off. IMHO, a second best bet would be the BLO {boiled linseed oil} as it has chemicals added to speed up the "drying/set up" time.
 
Too bad someone sanded the stock, that hurts its value.
Also, it is not British issue. Look at the crown behind the hammer. There would be VR under the crown if British. Probably made for another country.
 
Nice, full wood 3 band snider. Too bad about the finish, still nice tho. I picked up brass for mine at the Brandon MB gun show.( Will Bilozir, probably spelled that name wrong.)

Both of mine have chopped stocks, and I need a few parts for the one. You have a nice piece there if you do not intend to keep it put it in the exchange like many have all ready said.

But, sir- these are fun toys and you have an excellent opportunity to take up a nice pastime, you already have the toy- Now go play with it.

janice
 
Last edited:
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, shot for shot, there ain't NUTHIN' more fun than a Snider.

Wonderful Gopher gun. Slug digs a big hole in the ground, Gopher goes over to investigate, falls in and breaks his neck.

Also good for pushing a Fast Freight off the tracks.

And it WILL fill your freezer.

The Snider is the Root and Centre of ANY military gun collection simply because it was the FIRST centrefire, breechloading rifle to achieve military Service status. With its 18 rounds a minute, it was the 'AK-47' of the 1860s and Sniders were used EVERYWHERE: whole British Empire for a start, Portugal (this one), Denmark (also by BSA&M Co.), Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro, Nepal; France copied it as the Tabatiere, so did Russia. The Americans issued an inferior copy called the Springfield.

Without the Snider, we have no hobby.
 
Back
Top Bottom