Newbie question: Cleaning a front stuffer

schick

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
I have only fired my Traditions break action a handfull of times. I have found already that after only one shot the next bullet is a real ##### to seat fully down ( i marked my rod, as recommended). So I was told to try cleaning after every shot for a while. Okay, I will, but I am confused about the cleaning process. I don't want to unscrew the breach plug after every shot. So if I simply run a damp patch down the bore, aren't I pushing some residue back towards the breach?

Any tips on cleaning my inexpensive break action .50?

By the way I was shoot saboted if that makes a difference.
 
Only familiar with plain blackpowder, but I know after each shot I'm told to put a long puff of air down the barrel to keep the fouling soft. The moisture from your breathe should be enough.

After 15-20 rds I was borrowing a friend's brass ramrod because the barrel had coked up and my flexible safety ramrod wasn't cutting it.
 
When target shooting with BP, a damp patch was run through the barrel after every shot. It helps consistency and keeps the barrel from getting too fouled.
 
use good lube and you will not have that problem, i have used spit, to shoot a long string, 30 shots, with no problem, if you dont look after your gun and it gets some pitting in the barrel it will act just like you describe, then you will need to replace the barrel to fix it ,,wade
 
use good lube and you will not have that problem

If it is an in-line and you are using sabots, DO NOT use lube

Windex works okay for spit patching between loads. If the bullet is only an 1/8 of an inch higher in seating after the second shot, that's pretty normal. It shouldn't be hard loading though.
 
Back
Top Bottom