Newbie Questions: Uberti Colt 1860

pete_viking

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Greetings all,

I just purchased a used Colt 1860 in .44 cal from another member here and it is currently crawling its way across Canada from Nova Scotia to BC. While waiting I am trying to make sure I am going to have everything I need to head off to the range asap when it arrives.

I'm new to cap and ball revolvers but do have BP experience with my Great Plains flinter. I have lots of fffg powder, and ordered balls and #10 caps from Reliable gun in Vancouver. I ordered a nipple wrench and some .44/.45 caliber revolver Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads from Track of the Wolf, so I think I should have everything to get started.

I've been reading up, watching Youtube vids, and spoke with the seller for over an hour to get some tips for lubing, loading etc. He was a really great guy to chat with, has had the pistol for 8 years and was very active in black powder over on Vancouver Island before retiring to the Maritimes. I'm looking forward to posting a great seller rating once the revolver arrives.

Are there any others parts/accessories I should be considering for the long term? The seller states that the nippes are in good shape, but I have been reading on The HighRoad that a lot of people are recommending aftermarket Ampco nipples. I already ordered 200 #10 caps and noticed the Ampco ones specify #11. Also, should I be getting a bunch of spare internal parts, like springs and screws?

Another question is where is a good place to get supplies in general and spare parts for Uberti specifically? I'd prefer to shop Canadian but there's nowhere in the Vancouver area that carries much black powder supplies. Wholesale Sports and Marstar seem to carry only Pietta stuff. Cabelas Canada had wads on their site but they were back ordered. Shooters Choice had the wads but they were literally twice the price than at Track (US $6.29 vs Can $14.95 per 100). Plus Shooters has no online store and with the time difference its difficult for me to get through to them before they close.

The sale also comes with a ball mold so I am considering getting into casting my own ball ammo. I am wondering if anyone in the Vancouver area would know a cheap place to get raw lead.

I'd appreciate any feed back people might have on the Uberti parts and supplies in general.

Peter
 
I've also been reading up on cap n' ball revolvers on and off. I seem to recall reading that the factory Italian nipples are made for #10 caps. One recommendation I've read is to try the factory nipples, and if you have issues with them try upgrading. For wads Track sometimes seems like the easiest source, and sometimes people even get into making their own wads and lube.

Also, I've heard that if you're casting your own round balls you'll want to use soft pure lead as opposed to wheel weights.
 
The #10 (Remington) caps are close to the same diameter but they are longer and tend to stick onto the tapered Uberti stock nipples better than #11 (Remington) try both on your new gun before buying new nipples.
I work at Northstar recycling and we have TONS of soft lead which is what you need for your gun. If you need some PM me and I will pick some up for you it costs about $1.00/pound.
Uberti parts can be had from VTI in the states... for other stuff Track of the Wolf is hard to beat.
You should have a small hammer with plastic or rubber covering the head to knock out the wedge without dinging the metal.
I shoot at Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Club (PCDHFC) and usually have black powder guns on the bench.
 
Northstar is open to the public 7.30 AM-4.30PM Monday-Friday and 7.30AM-2.30PM Saturday.
I have set aside some choice soft lead and will pick through the stuff that comes in to assure a continuous supply.
 
I deal extensively with Track Of The Wolf for my black powder geekery. Nobody else in Canada takes the sport nearly as seriously as they do - or at least that is the way of it around Edmonton.

You will like the Uberti, I just got mine a couple weeks back and I love it. Made my first attempt at casting bullets too and had great success with that too. I bought a cheap Lee mould and furnace and it will do anything I need to do.

Good shooting to ya!
 
I have shot c&B revolver for over 30 years, have yet to use a wad.
I use crisco in a cake decorator bag to lube the tops of loaded bullets.

Things to remember.
1) when loading, no air gap between powder and ball. the ball or bullet must be firm on the powder.
2) use a quality grease on the top of the ball to prevent chain fires - I use crisco shortening
3) The ball should shave a small ring of lead when you load it. If it goes into the cylinder loose, it is too small
4) if you shoot light loads use cornmeal or other non compressible filler over the powder to take up space.
5) the best accuracy with light loads is to use corn meal filler and seat the ball as close to the cylinder mouth as possible but so that the cylinder will still turn.
6) never substitute any type of smokeless powder for black or use duplex loads.

Clean with hot water, dry in oven, keep oiled to kill rust.
pay attention to springs. springs that rust and pit will break.

Pyrodex shoots "cleaner" (less fouling) than B.P. but pyrodex fouling is perclorate salt fouling and is more corrosive.
Be anal if you shoot pyrodex - clean with hot water, wait a week, then clean again.
and no, soaking it down with gun oil will not kill the salts.
 
Back
Top Bottom