Nipples for a percussion rifle...

Curly1

CGN Regular
Rating - 98.8%
165   2   0
Are the nipplea used on 50 cal black powder percussion rifles all the same size? I recently acquired a 50 cal Springfield Hawken (made in Spain) that has no nipple and do not know a thing about it, other than it needs a percussion nipple. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Cheers
 
Track of the Wolf probably has what you need:

ht tp://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1
 
Last edited:
The nipples are probably for No. 11 caps but may be metric thread, not the usual 1/4-28 found on most domestic guns. Metric I believe is 6.75mm. All dealers should stock both sizes. I try to keep both in stock just in case because I shoot both types of muzzle loaders.
 
also worth saying that you should not try to force a nipple to screw in. The nipple could be either cross threaded or the wrong thread pitch and using force can damage the threads to the point of being dangerous. By the same token, also not accept a fit which is quite loose and floppy until it comes up the shoulder of the nipple

cheers mooncoon
 
Good info here guys!! I was just about to post the same thread.

I recently bought 3 muzzle loaders, a safari arms 50 Hawken, TC Hawken and a markwell arms 45 kentuky long rifle.

I went to the gun shop to buy nipples last week and didn't realize there was several different styles to choose from.

My guess is they are indeed metric.
 
Very good advice mooncoon, I bought a used 1860 Army reproduction and didn't check the nipples...on the second or third shot the nipple blew out and landed on the bench.
It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye.
Someone had installed under-size nipples which were way too small, I had 5 spares in my parts bin that fit great but I don't know what size they are so to this day my gun is missing a nipple. Time to invest in a Pitch Gauge.
 
Very good advice mooncoon, I bought a used 1860 Army reproduction and didn't check the nipples...on the second or third shot the nipple blew out and landed on the bench.
It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye.
Someone had installed under-size nipples which were way too small, I had 5 spares in my parts bin that fit great but I don't know what size they are so to this day my gun is missing a nipple. Time to invest in a Pitch Gauge.

better yet, a small tap set. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom