No serial?

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
I just have acquired 1892 French service revolver made in 1892. Only to find out it does not have a serial number. Is this normal? I thought all of these had one...gun has original finish and is in VGC.
Int info please? Thanks...
 
They are all out hunting....;)
I don't know anything about that type of gun but is it possible that the Ser# has been removed??
 
It might be a copy of a french 1892 if it has no numbers on it anywhere how do you know its made in 1892? :confused:

They date them guns by Ser # not barrel date as barrels can be changed.
Post some pics.
Theres some nice copys of theses made by a few diffrent countrys.
 
hunting eh? nice...i went out yesterday. SOL on the hunt.
Anyway...
as for the gun normal markings as for 1892.
Mre d'Armes St Etienne on the right side of frame ,Mle 1892 on the barrel and S. 1892 as well as P L consistent with first year production. Finish is all original as far as i know. Barrel does not look like it has been touched.
pictures to follow...

Nice the techs just replied that cant confirm without the serial number

photo-1.jpg

2.jpg
 
Im not sure if the ser # is anywhere else on the gun normally its on the right side of the frame.
Does it look like it was removed ?
That looks like a French 1892 alright.
Never seen one with no Ser # tho.

must have been removed.
id be pulling off the grips looking for a second # on the grip strap.
 
I understand but can't check since I didn't receive the gun as I wanted to have letter before I get in my hands. Do not want unregistered restricted in my hands. I will contact the seller to see if there is any other serial written anywhere else. I'm quite sure it hasn't been removed recently, but I heard some of these guns been refurbished through time. This may be where serial went since it's so old. Never heard of serials being anywhere else besides frame. I will look at the other one I have.
 
You can sort of see the barrel date on top of the barrel (S 1892 is the model). That would be a clue, though the other posters are right, the barrel could have been changed so you won't get a letter without a serial number. If it's in the USA, I believe it's an offense to possess a firearm with the serial number removed. You may want to check, and get a quick refund / cancel from the seller, who should know that.
 
These serials are punched quite deep. It would require serious grinding to remove. There is no evidence of such action. Either way I want the gun with letter. No serial means no letter so I will not be getting the gun. There is always another for sale...
 
The commercial models didn't have the letter prefix serial # on the side, and sometimes had the serial # in different places. look under the barrel, with the cylinder swung out, etc. Either way, most commercial made French ones were not provable as antiques, therefore no letter. As well, as has been mentioned, Belgian copies wouldn't follow the norm either. I know most Belgian guns didn't come with serial #'s before the turn of the century. Does it have any Belgian proof marks, especially on the rear of the cylinder (ELG in an oval with a crown above) or anything like that. If you do a search of Belgian proof marks, there are some good sites that'll show you what to look for. It dosn't sound like you can prove it is an antique however, so I doubt it's what you want. Good luck
 
Might need to have the gun stripped down and minutely examined. Sometimes it'll be under the top strap, or on the sides or inside the grip bands. Some guns have had ultra tiny stampings with very light markings. It seems more common in commercial guns.
 
Well the gun has had serial damaged only thing is visible is the F so it is 1897 or older. Well barrel is original in the gun. No evidence of replacement and finish as rest of the frame. Barrel was supposed to be worn out turns out it was drilled WTF? Gun is in decent condition. I will be looking for a barrel 1892 dated or will convert into .22 mag. Or just put 1901 barrel I have.., opinions?
 
Back
Top Bottom