Noobie has a few questions :D

Rickyy101

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Ottawa
Hey guys, I probably won't have a black powder firearm for a while but some things I am curious aboot.

What are the legalities regarding small game hunting with a percussion cap/flintlock? I'm in Ontario, if it matters.

And seeing as how production cap/flintlocks are more common (and cheaper!) is it possible to get the bore smoothed out to be able to shoot shot? Because I think a .50 caliber roundball is a little big for rabbits and squirrel LOL

Thanks guys :D
 
What the F?

and

Why the F?

2 guns you should definitely buy are a shotgun and a .22.

A muzzleloader would be practically useless for small game in most cases, but I am interested to know what you think you would be using it for.
 
You can get a black powder shotgun, but they usually don't come smaller then 20 gauge. For the cost of getting a decent flint or cap lock rifle and having the bore redone you could proubably pick up a black powder shotgun.
 
As to the legalities of hunting with a muzzleloader - they are no different than any other firearm except that there are special muzzleloader only seasons for deer in some WMU's.

It would be too expensive and not really worth the effort to get a .50/.54 cal. rifled barrel bored out to smoothbore. Plus then you'd have a heavy, rather awkward piece that was neither one thing nor another that wouldn't throw enough shot to be very effective.

Look around for a for real double barreled muzzleloading shotgun. You might be able to find a good used one. I have a Navy Arms 12 ga. double that is the best upland gun I have ever owned. It is light (about 6 lbs.), fast to come up on a bird and quite powerful. I can shoot up to 1 3/8 oz. of shot but mostly use 1 1/4 oz. for grouse etc.
You can also get 20 ga. and 10 ga. shotguns. The 10 ga. can handle up to 2 1/2 oz. of shot!
You can get modern in-line muzzleloaders with a shotgun barrel too (as well as a rifle barrel). I know a guy with a Thompson/Center Encore with a shotgun barrel - he has taken turkeys with it but he complained that it was too much like a rifle to be good for upland game.

There is basically nothing a cartridge shotgun can do that a muzzleloader can't do except fire 3 times real quick. More modern ones can even handle steel shot.

Actually a .50 cal. ball is perfect for rabbits and squirrels. Just use a light 50 gr. powder charge. It kills cleanly without blowing them up.
 
Last edited:
2 guns you should definitely buy are a shotgun and a .22.

Why? Being saddled with a PAL and a chest of registered firearms and all the potential harm it can bring is really not worth it if all you want to do is shoot/eat game animals. Get a smooth bore in 54, 58 or larger a pound of FFG and go hunting for the rest of your life with no hassles.

As for cost flinters are the best bargain in firearms.
 
Why not just buy a shotgun? A decent one is cheaper than a muzzleloader.

I'm a young man but I'm old at heart :D I'm a traditionalist!


What the F?

and

Why the F?

2 guns you should definitely buy are a shotgun and a .22.

A muzzleloader would be practically useless for small game in most cases, but I am interested to know what you think you would be using it for.

I'd be using it for small game hunting, of course! There are .32 and .36 percussion caps out there for small game hunting :D

You can get a black powder shotgun, but they usually don't come smaller then 20 gauge. For the cost of getting a decent flint or cap lock rifle and having the bore redone you could proubably pick up a black powder shotgun.

Good to know, maybe I'll pick up a used one :D


As to the legalities of hunting with a muzzleloader - they are no different than any other firearm except that there are special muzzleloader only seasons for deer in some WMU's.

It would be too expensive and not really worth the effort to get a .50/.54 cal. rifled barrel bored out to smoothbore. Plus then you'd have a heavy, rather awkward piece that was neither one thing nor another that wouldn't throw enough shot to be very effective.

Look around for a for real double barreled muzzleloading shotgun. You might be able to find a good used one. I have a Navy Arms 12 ga. double that is the best upland gun I have ever owned. It is light (about 6 lbs.), fast to come up on a bird and quite powerful. I can shoot up to 1 3/8 oz. of shot but mostly use 1 1/4 oz. for grouse etc.
You can also get 20 ga. and 10 ga. shotguns. The 10 ga. can handle up to 2 1/2 oz. of shot!
You can get modern in-line muzzleloaders with a shotgun barrel too (as well as a rifle barrel). I know a guy with a Thompson/Center Encore with a shotgun barrel - he has taken turkeys with it but he complained that it was too much like a rifle to be good for upland game.

There is basically nothing a cartridge shotgun can do that a muzzleloader can't do except fire 3 times real quick. More modern ones can even handle steel shot.

Actually a .50 cal. ball is perfect for rabbits and squirrels. Just use a light 50 gr. powder charge. It kills cleanly without blowing them up.

Great response, although I don't think I'll ever want an inline :D
 
Why? Being saddled with a PAL and a chest of registered firearms and all the potential harm it can bring is really not worth it if all you want to do is shoot/eat game animals. Get a smooth bore in 54, 58 or larger a pound of FFG and go hunting for the rest of your life with no hassles.

As for cost flinters are the best bargain in firearms.

I've seen a bunch of the smooth bores at the track of the wolf website and damn, they're expensive :(
 
they're expensive

Look on the Auction and classified sites. There are incredible deals. If you have $250-500 to spend and are patient you can get anything you want. As new Lymans never get more then 300 and often sell with one bid at 150 at auction. Custom guns that guys must have spent 1000s on go for dimes and quarters on the dollar. Just decide what you want exactly and buy only as new or unfired or excellent condition.
 
Thompson Center made a rifle/shotgun , New Englander IIRC. 50 cal rifle and a 12 ga drop in barrel also.
You could also go tradegun 20ga/62 cal route, plus there are smooth bore rifles out there.
There was one in the E/E some time ago.

Cheers nessy.
 
Back
Top Bottom