Norma Ammo - Why so expensive?

PSE

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
After experimenting with several brands of ammo I've discovered my 6.5X55 absolutely loves Norma factory with 140 gr Nosler Partition bullet. I can't handload better and I've tried.

The good news is the search is over for the ideal cartridge. The bad news is that it's horribly expensive - 75 bucks a box.

Just wondering why it has to be that expensive on this side of the pond? - Surely the Swede hunters don't pay anywhere near that kind of money for a box of ammo? Before you tell me Norma stands for quality and you get what you pay for blah blah blah - I know all that.

Still why so much money - Can't just be Shipping??
Maybe 45-50 bucks a box OK but 75 bucks - Outrageous :eek::eek:
 
You answered your own question. Premium bullet loaded by a top name in quality. Did you even check what it goes for in Europe? Or did you just assume our dealers are laughing while they count their massive profits?
 
Of course I checked and could find no reference - If you know enlighten us or are you just assuming it goes for the equivalent of 75 bucks Canadian in Sweden also??
 
You really should try more reloading recipes. Don't give up yet.
Norma ammo has always been horrendously expensive. I can remember using some 25yrs ago, and it was the same then too.
 
If any dealers were to share their markup I believe you'd find it was pretty modest. It is the same with pretty much any Canada Vs Wherever price comparison.
 
I looked at a couple of Internet shops in France and the common Norma calibers were selling for 40 to 50 Euros a box of twenty. The high grade African calibers were 100 to 125 Euros. So even in Europe Norma is expensive.
 
Don't give up on the handloads! Using the same partion you could be spending less than $20 a box for the same quality. (Assuming you've kept your Norma brass.) Try playing with the seating depth and changing the powder charge. Try some different powders.
 
makes me happy I bought a few hundred norma brass when I got my 6.5 I find 129gr sst's to be very accurate, but just about every bullet is accurate enough for hunting the ranges I hunt. I've shot 2 deer with 2 bullets, one 140gr core-loct and one 140gr sst.

The 140gr sst load was very mild and I wanted a bit more bullet response, so I'm going to use 129's faster this year.
 
There are a few fellas out there that believe that Norma is the finest factory loaded ammunition. I am not sure that the animal will know the difference - certainly not at that price. Norma does have excellent ammo though, and the brass is great for reloading.
 
After experimenting with several brands of ammo I've discovered my 6.5X55 absolutely loves Norma factory with 140 gr Nosler Partition bullet. I can't handload better and I've tried.

At least you know what bullet it likes....now time to handload it.

I also load a 140gr. Nosler partition in my swede...likes a stiff charge of RL-22 in winchester brass....you already have fired Norma brass so now start reloading.
 
$75.00 is cheap when compared to what I paid for factory Weatherby ammo four years ago.
It was like$95.00 a box for .257 Wby and now they are flogging it for about half of that .
Some sort of promo I do not know if the accuracy will change for the same bullet/combo.
You generally get what you pay for when it comes to ammo choices, then again sometimes you get lucky with Federal blue box ammo too.
Tight Groups,
Rob
 
6,5x55 Norma

Price for a box of 20 of that ammo in Switzerland, depending of the type of bullet : 86$ to 117$ !
I know Switzerland is not a reference. The most expansive European country...
 
I think the high quality brass is the magic.. I have read many favourable things, though have yet to reload it myself. I would love to get some .308 brass and try it out though.
 
Oh I fully intend to continue to reload and hopefully I can come close to finding the exact combination they use. I can certainly duplicate the seating depth they use by measuring a factory round. Anyone guess what powder they use? I would imagine it's a carefully concocted blend and only the Norma executive know the secret. ;)
 
Have you tried loading 140Grain partitions on Re 22? I found 46.7 grains produced the same results as the factory Norma stuff in two of my 6.5s. I have also been using some Federal 215 Primers with this powder and found the groups to tighten even more...This will keep you well below the$75 a box you paid..
 
Anyone guess what powder they use? ;)

Probably Norma MRP....if you can find it. RL-22 is pretty close. Ive never heard of 6.5x55 bolt action that wouldnt' group well it it and 140's .

The load posted by Mayhem was what I used with my Swedish mauser (RP brass) . Now with a tikka and win brass...it likes a bit more :D

Not sure how the internal capacity of the norma brass compares....that's where the load development comes in...the gun will tell you how much it likes.
 
Back
Top Bottom