norma ammo?

Epp's for one. Norma isn't cheap stuff. Epp's carries Igman 6.5 x 55 too.
Reloading is your friend. Makes the endless search for ammo go away.
 
Why does it have to be Norma? Other manufacturers make 6.5x55 as well and some of it, like Federal and Remington are pretty decent.
 
I have fired Fed, Win, and Rem ammo through my chroney, all advertised 2550fps to 2600fps. The best one was win and just one shoot at 2308fps, all the rest were under 2300fps. Norma is the ammo that is fast as advertised
 
Why does it have to be Norma?
If ya gotta ask........LOL

When pricing Norma factory ammo deduct 2o dollars from the price of the box to account for the brass your getting and then deduct another 10-20 dollars for the premium bullets. Pretty soon you are getting the loaded ammo for way less then the yank crap that turns the finest deer cartridge in the world into a pathetic wimp.

Just make sure you buy the 156 grain Alaskan or Ornxy/vulcan load and ignore the 2" diffence in mid range trajectory that the 140s will offer.

Buy two boxes for hunting season this year and reload them to 2600fps with 160 grain hornadys for the next 10 years. Judging by the odds on moose tags in SNB and the deer bag limits 40 pieces of brass and a 100 hornadys will last a long time!
 
I'm still shooting some old Century ammo I bought for $10 a box years ago-killed over 30 deer with it too,and nothing went much farther than 20 yards.The 6.5x55 seems to do a good job with even ordinary ammunition.I think I'd only spend the extra money for premium ammunition if I was going to use it for elk.
 
years ago-killed over 30 deer with it too

guess you 've been too busy to do any serious huntin eh?LOL. I agree the 6.5 performs at modest velocities. Last week I shot a deer on the QCI with a chronied MV of 2100 fps at a hundred yards the bullet performed well even though it passed through.

I'd only spend the extra money for premium ammunition if I was going to use it for elk.

There is a thread on here by a member who did an exhaustive test of dozens of 6.5mm bullets. The Hornady offering IIRC performed the best. I think the thread came from 24 hour camp fire. Definetley a must read.
 
Last edited:
I think premuim ammuntion is well worth it on certain hunting conditions such as hunting Elk, but even the couple of black bears I shot went right down.[hit on the point of the shoulder]
I think the 6.5x55 seems to be one of those ''just right'' cartridges -and while there's nothing spectacular about it, after 100 years they must have been doing something right or it would have been dropped long ago like so many other'' flavour of the month'' offerings that were touted as much better.All I know is if I do my job and hold it straight, it does its job quite handily
 
Back
Top Bottom