Odd ammo problem Horrandy .204

Pyd

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Ontario
May be common, but first time I have seen it.
Yesterday at the range I was helping a friend sight in his new .204, his was a Savage, I broiught my Tikka, chambered the same.
About the 5th round he tried to load in stopped the bolt, he could load the shell but when he tried to lower the bolt it simply wouldn't budge. tried it a few times. We were sure something was wrong with his new rifle.
We decided to try it in mine, it did the exact same thing, at that point it was clear it was an issue with that particular bullet, but I could not figure out what what it was, it had no visable imperfections.
What went wrong?
I like the .204 because the ammo is typically consistant.
 
measure the OAL of the loaded round from base to tip of bullet and see if that round is longer than the other
 
Factory ammo, what kind of difference in length would be needed to completely stop a bolt from engaging? To the eyeball they are the same, I will measure closer when I get home.
 
Factory ammo, what kind of difference in length would be needed to completely stop a bolt from engaging? To the eyeball they are the same, I will measure closer when I get home.



if theres no noticeable eye difference i doubt thats what it is...

compare the case heads (rim thickness, diameter etc)
 
had this happen with a buddies T3 in .204...32gr Hornady V-max
My H&R would take the round that the T3 had a hard time swallowing.
The round would chamber but the bolt handle didn't want to drop...
 
if theres no noticeable eye difference i doubt thats what it is...

compare the case heads (rim thickness, diameter etc)

Also, to add to this, I'd look to see the base-to-shoulder and base-to-neck dimensions; compare a round that DOES chamber in his rifle with one that DOESN'T; see if the shoulder is set a bit forward on the one that doesn't?

If he's got a particularly tight chamber, a few thou will wreck your day.

-M
 
I don't shoot Horrandy from my Tikka, it simply didn't like the ammo. But I did try that same round that his Savage wouldn't take, and had the same results.
My curiousity is getting the best of me, I will have to get my hands on it and go over it with a micrometer.
 
B
what's this Horrandy you refer to?

To me it is an ammunition company that makes bullets that refuse to shoot from my rifle.
For my buddy it is an ammunition company that refuses to load in to his rifle.
For you it is a spelling error and another oppertunity to not only dodge the original question, but to also make a failed attempt at turning a normal question in to a spelling test.
 
Last edited:
hey bud. there is obviously a size issue with your load. i personally dont own anything in this ccal, but i do have the factory specs for the 204. if you want pm me your measures, and i will give you the specs that would generally effect this sort of thing. no spelling test reqd!
ps a little advice for measuring, use a vernier insted of a micrometer
 
hey bud. there is obviously a size issue with your load. i personally dont own anything in this ccal, but i do have the factory specs for the 204. if you want pm me your measures, and i will give you the specs that would generally effect this sort of thing. no spelling test reqd!
ps a little advice for measuring, use a vernier insted of a micrometer

Thank you, I will compare it to one that loads correctly to see what is going on. It wasn't my round, but my curiousity is spiked!
It was an odd sensation to not be able to see a difference with my eyes..
I appreciate your offer, as well as your candid opinion.:D
 
Back
Top Bottom