Off again - on again registration

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I gotta share this ...

I just sold my 'Colt' 2nd gen '51 Navy. The purchaser was with me when we did the transfer. I heard the CFC tell him that the gun could be de-registered as an 'antique', so I asked for the phone.

In 2003 when I bought the gun, I got the same story. I argued but was assured that it could be done. In due course, I got the paper work declaring the gun to be 'antique'.
A short time later, I got a phone call from an irate CFC supervisor telling me that I had incorrectly applied to have a gun de-registered and it was going to be reversed. I had copies of the correspondence, so I was able to establish that I had argued against the de-registration, and in due course I received a registration certificate.

In the interval, the system failed and the gun was never recorded as re-registered! It's been deemed an 'antique' all this time. So, I finally got it straightened out by reading from the correspondence I received from the CFC, saving the buyer from the same bureaucratic quagmire I went through.

Gives you real confidence in the system, don't it? This hassle took a lot of time and convincing on our part to comply with the law. In the mean time, the gang wars continue ..... Only in Canada, you say .... ?
 
Last edited:
Sounds like someone assumed that a Colt 1851 Navy must have been made before 1898 not realizing that they re-introduced them years after the originals. I would be all for having cap and ball revolvers and flint/percussion pistols of modern manufacture considered antique's but I am not holding my breath.
 
I would like to have all guns that are 75 years old or older classed as antique and not regulated at all, and excluded from the licensing mess we currently have.
The current system of classification of antique firearms in Canada is irrational and needs to be simplified - to the benefit of the law abiding who collect and shoot antiques.
 
Back
Top Bottom