Old 1894 - What to Do?....(PIX ON PAGE 3)

Guys don't get subtle Rockeye, :p

Looks like decision has been made, glad for it. Same here, no choppy-chop, worth either trying to bring back or just sell for what you want.

Most important thing about that rifle Hugh is the barrel and receiver. Wood and mag tube can be replaced, but having a half oct barrel....well that just tickles people!

That would be a good little project gun for the winter.
:agree:
I'm a sucker for an octagon or 1/2 octagon barrel myself...:onCrack:
 
I finally got around to dismantling the rifle. The interior parts look to be in excellent condition to my eye. The only surprise so far is I've discovered that, at some time in the past, the barrel has been shortened by cutting about 1/4" off the muzzle. The mag. tube has been also shortened by about 1/2". The hole in the bottom of the barrel to receive the mag tube support is now exposed between the end of the mag tube and the muzzle of the barrel. Whoever did the work didn't bother to drill a new hole in the bottom of the barrel, the screw now just butts against the surface of the barrel.

So far, the only thing I've done about the finish is to try acetone and it did absolutely nothing to the finish on either the barrel or the stock.

If anyone has any new input to this project, i would be glad to hear it.

I'm an old dog and have no interest in figuring out how to post pictures, but if someone would volunteer, I would be glad to E-mail you some photos for you to post.

Thanks to all for your advice so far,

Hugh
 
32ws5.jpg
32ws3.jpg
32ws1.jpg
32ws.jpg
32ws3.jpg
32ws4.jpg
32ws6.jpg
 
Lots of old '94s got cut down by a 1/4" because the end of the barrel got damaged. My dad had a 25-35 with the same problem. For a shooter, the pittings not gonna get any worse, and 1/4" of the barrel won't affect it (although it's a shame), but replace that stock. Good rifles shouldn't look like that.
 
Back
Top Bottom